CPU and everything slows down! Is it recommended that Spyware Doctor load at
startup?

R

Rock

With XP HE why does it take so long for Spyware Doctor to load? It hogs
the CPU and everything slows down! Is it recommended that Spyware Doctor
load at startup?

Ask Spyware Doctor's tech support? Have you tried an uninstall / reinstall
to see if that changes things? Is there malware on the system?

R

Ross

With XP HE why does it take so long for Spyware Doctor to load? It hogs the
CPU and everything slows down! Is it recommended that Spyware Doctor load at
startup?

welcome to the club!

One friend (C) had been using it for couple of years with great success and recommended it to
another friend (P) when he had become infested with malware. When P's machine showed the
behaviour you describe it came to me for tech support. Spyware Doctor was loading but PC Tools
AntiVirus (companion program) was failing to start. Rather than trying to fix the mess, I backed
up valued files, formatted the HDD, reinstalled WinXP_SP2, updated w.Windows Update (minus IE7),
installed Spyware Doctor and PC Tools AntiVirus and the machine was heavily burdened by these 2
programs. On startup - watching Task Manager - it takes 5-10 minutes before the CPU is available
for any other activity. The system is continually sluggish thereafter. I tried to configure them
for more efficient functionality to no avail. Talking to friend C - he is also having the same
effect since installing their latest version. Completely unsatisfactory performance ..... or
maybe an attempt by PC Tools to "outperform" Norton/Symantec in the bloatware/resource hog
category.
I have received no response from PC Tools Online support so I've uninstalled both products and
installed NOD32 AV - machine runs like a rocketship! I suggest you post to the PC Tools forums
as it appears they are not addressing this broad based problem in any kind of forthright manner.
I also see the option exists to get your money back no questions asked within 30 days of
purchase.

good luck,
Ross

R

Ross

welcome to the club!

<snip>

PC Tools Support response after posting in their 'General' forum.
Sent as a private message to my post:
'dehabilitating performance with Spyware Doctor And PC Tools AntiVirus'
QUOTE:

Spyware Doctor's effect on computer performance
The problem that you are experiencing is a new known issue with Spyware Doctor. Our development
team is currently aware of this issue and are working on resolving the problem shortly.

This issue will be resolved in the soon to be released Spyware Doctor 5.0. When Spyware Doctor
5.0 is released, you will be able to upgrade to it for no additional cost if you are a current
user for Spyware Doctor 4.0.

If you would like a refund for Spyware Doctor, please send an e-mail to (e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question