J

JJuice

Hi,
I recently purchased a new HP Pav laptop running Win 7 64 bit and Office
2007. When I open a new, blank excel sheet and attempt to cut or copy even a
single blank cell, the machine hangs for 10-20 seconds like it is processing
the request. If I click on the sheet during this time, excel goes grey and
becomes unresponsive. Given the large amount of time I spend on excel, this
issue is unacceptable and a huge burden on productivity.

An interesting tidbit: A few days ago I updated my video drivers and the
problem went away. Unfortunately, it is now back. It appears that driver
updates rectify the situation on a temporary basis, but later system changes
or updates cause the issue to reappear. Very frustrating to say the least.

Uninstalling/reinstalling office/excel/norton 360 does not work. I've seen
this issue pop up on other forums but no solutions were provided. Are there
any known permanent fixes to this problem?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Slow cut and paste Excel 2007

It is possible that you may have multiple hidden text boxes (with nothing in them). I found my copy and paste actions in Excel 2007 taking nearly a minute to execute on "some" spreadsheets, but not all.

I discovered accidentally that when I selected a cell, occasionally an "Object Box" would appear where there was not supposed to be one! Although I tried deleting the object box it would seem to reappear and it was really frustrating.

It turns out that there were hundreds of theses empty object boxes in my workbook and because they were empty, they were invisible. Even though I tried to delete the box there was always another one behind it to replace it. When I removed all of the hidden object boxes, normal cut and paste service was resumed. So if you have a similar problem to me then you can remove them as follows:

Press the F5 key. Select the Special button. Select the Objects radio button (bottom left of panel). Select the OK button. Wait a few seconds and if there is anything hidden it will be displayed. Press Delete to remove all of them. Normal cut and paste efficiency should be back to normal.

I hope this helps you out, regards Sharkie

Ask a Question