slow connection to mapped network drives

I have win2k3 server and multiple workstations with platforms winxp home, pro, winme ...

all have the same problem. i have network folders mapped as drives on my server.... i can find the network drives just fine, but when i go to connect from any of the clients, the initial connect to this mapped drive is extremely slow... once it connects once, subsequent connects are much faster, unless there is a large amount of idle time, in which case the connect is slow again...

we had the same setup under nt and had no problems, but with the 2k3 these mapped folders are giving me the slow connect problems...

what can i do to try and help speed this process up?

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

Based on the info in your message, the "slowness" is caused by the clients attempting to
resolve the mapped drives through DNS first before falling back to WINS. If neither are on the
network, then they will resort to broadcast to resolve the mapped drive name. Once it is
mapped, the information will reside in cache for a period of time and then a "new" search
process beginning with DNS etc. will take place.

If you are not going to run DNS on your network, then suggest you put the host and ip info into
a HOSTS files on all clients. That way they will have that info readily available. You may also
need to use LMHOSTS files depending on the type of shares and client OS'es.

Hope this helps,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: =?Utf-8?B?c2N3aWxs?= <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: slow connection to mapped network drives
'--'Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 07:36:04 -0700
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'I have win2k3 server and multiple workstations with platforms winxp home, pro, winme ...

all have the same problem. i have network folders mapped as drives on my server.... i can
find the network drives just fine, but when i go to connect from any of the clients, the initial
connect to this mapped drive is extremely slow... once it connects once, subsequent connects
are much faster, unless there is a large amount of idle time, in which case the connect is slow
again...

we had the same setup under nt and had no problems, but with the 2k3 these mapped folders
are giving me the slow connect problems...

what can i do to try and help speed this process up?
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Gary

Thank you for your response. I am running DNS on the router, not on the server, so would this have any effect? I still need that DNS info on my clients to bypass the router and access the net..

I got a response on another forum saying that I needed to install NetBEUI on all of the client machines, and unbind the file and print sharing from TCP/IP. Do you see this as a viable option, or should I still try and put the info in a HOSTS file

TIA

Brian William

----- Gary Fose [MSFT] wrote: ----

Hi Brian

Based on the info in your message, the "slowness" is caused by the clients attempting to
resolve the mapped drives through DNS first before falling back to WINS. If neither are on the
network, then they will resort to broadcast to resolve the mapped drive name. Once it is
mapped, the information will reside in cache for a period of time and then a "new" search
process beginning with DNS etc. will take place

If you are not going to run DNS on your network, then suggest you put the host and ip info into
a HOSTS files on all clients. That way they will have that info readily available. You may also
need to use LMHOSTS files depending on the type of shares and client OS'es

Hope this helps
Gar
'--'From: =?Utf-8?B?c2N3aWxs?= <[email protected]
'--'Subject: slow connection to mapped network drive