Russ Edgar

I own Windows 2000 Professional, SP2 Integrated. My
question is this: If I slipstream SP4 and burn the disk,
am I able to do so legally? Will I be breaking any
agreement with Microsoft? Basicly, I do a reinstall on my
home computer about evry 2-3 months (virus's, demo
programs, just basic clutter, so I reinstall) and would
like to streamline the install steps somewhat, and having
read about slipstreaming, I am wanting to try it.
Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

S

Sparker9

Just some supplemental comments:

Although slipstreaming does save some time during installation, it's no where near the time saved if can reinstall the OS and its applications via a previous image of the partition.

I know in my case, using a dial-up connection to obtain all of the security patches, hotfixes, latest drivers, application updates, etc., is a major effort spread out over a week or two.

By using a backup utility like Ghost, DriveImage, or BootIT NG, the whole partition can be restored in less than two hours. In order to do this, one must have a CDRW burner to create the backup discs.

I use PowerQuest DriveImage 2002. This utility runs in both Windows and DOS. I create each backup on a separate partition or drive. The backup is configured to create image files that are 650MB in size. I can then burn these to CD-R discs as secondary sources ( used in case the hard drive fails completely ). This particular utility also can create partitions and comes with its own Explorer that allows one to restore folders or files from the backup...nice features.

So after you do the next reinstall and get everything up-to-date, take a picture of it and save it via one of the utilities that I mentioned. It will really save you a lot of time and efforts.

--
Snarky Parker
.......Please respond to newsgroup only (e-mail is blocked)
Win2K SP4/IE6 SP1/Office XP SP2

One can only assume that it's legal based upon instructions provided by Microsoft. Here's one example:

HOW TO: Integrate Service Pack 1 into a Windows 2000 Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271791&Product=win2000

R

Russ edgar

I am going to do something of the sort, found a link about
unattended installs for XP, just going to rearrange it to
suit my W2K installs...
http://www.msfn.org/unattended/xp/index.htm

check it out, everything on one cd, poof done...

-----Original Message-----

Although slipstreaming does save some time during
installation, it's no where near the time saved if can
reinstall the OS and its applications via a previous image
of the partition.
I know in my case, using a dial-up connection to obtain
all of the security patches, hotfixes, latest drivers,
application updates, etc., is a major effort spread out
over a week or two.
By using a backup utility like Ghost, DriveImage, or
BootIT NG, the whole partition can be restored in less
than two hours. In order to do this, one must have a CDRW
burner to create the backup discs.
I use PowerQuest DriveImage 2002. This utility runs in
both Windows and DOS. I create each backup on a separate
partition or drive. The backup is configured to create
image files that are 650MB in size. I can then burn these
to CD-R discs as secondary sources ( used in case the hard
drive fails completely ). This particular utility also can
create partitions and comes with its own Explorer that
allows one to restore folders or files from the
backup...nice features.
So after you do the next reinstall and get everything up-
to-date, take a picture of it and save it via one of the
utilities that I mentioned. It will really save you a lot
of time and efforts.
--
Snarky Parker

news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
One can only assume that it's legal based upon
instructions provided by Microsoft. Here's one example:

D

David H. Lipman

That is a good post, however it needs some modifications...

You wrote - "By using a backup utility like Ghost, DriveImage, or BootIT NG, the whole
partition can be restored in less than two hours. In order to do this, one must have a CDRW
burner to create the backup discs."

That is NOT true. I use Enterprise Ghost v7.0 and Ghost 2003. Ghost can back up to: hard
disk, as a GHO file, tape, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CDR and CDRW.

Using the Enterprise version I have a dedicated platform I call the Cloning Platform. It
has two hard disks. Drive "C:" is relatively small and is used just for loading the OS.
Drive "D:" is a much larger drive and it is used for storing GHO files that represent the
multiple different desktop and notebooks that are used in our "company". The server loads a
Ghopst Server component. The client (to be restored or backed up) uses a Ghost Boot Disk
client. You boot off the Ghost Boot Disk and via TCP/IP the image is written on the cloning
platform. I use 100Mb/s Ethernet cards in conjunction with an Ethernet switch such that
this is done in Full Duplex mode giving the maximum of 200Mb/s transfer rate.

When using the Enterprise version and restorting a Ghost image, I can use TCP/IP multicast
to restore one image to multple platforms at the same time.

The Ghost 2003 version works similarly except that it doesn't do IP multicast. However, the
functionality is the smae and you are NOT restricted to CDRW drives. Ghost 2003 supports
fireWire and USB v2.0 standars so and hard disk that is connected to this interfcae can be
Ghosted to an image on that hard disk. It is a *much* faster than CD media and does not
have the limitations of having to span multiple disks.

Dave

Although slipstreaming does save some time during installation, it's no where near the time
saved if can reinstall the OS and its applications via a previous image of the partition.

I know in my case, using a dial-up connection to obtain all of the security patches,
hotfixes, latest drivers, application updates, etc., is a major effort spread out over a
week or two.

By using a backup utility like Ghost, DriveImage, or BootIT NG, the whole partition can be
restored in less than two hours. In order to do this, one must have a CDRW burner to create
the backup discs.

I use PowerQuest DriveImage 2002. This utility runs in both Windows and DOS. I create each
backup on a separate partition or drive. The backup is configured to create image files that
are 650MB in size. I can then burn these to CD-R discs as secondary sources ( used in case
the hard drive fails completely ). This particular utility also can create partitions and
comes with its own Explorer that allows one to restore folders or files from the
backup...nice features.

So after you do the next reinstall and get everything up-to-date, take a picture of it and
save it via one of the utilities that I mentioned. It will really save you a lot of time and
efforts.

--
Snarky Parker

One can only assume that it's legal based upon instructions provided by Microsoft. Here's
one example:

HOW TO: Integrate Service Pack 1 into a Windows 2000 Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271791&Product=win2000

S

Sparker9

Of course you're correct. Thanks for the elaboration of the subject. My write-up was narrow minded in that it only reflected the way I presently do my backups.

D

David H. Lipman

No - It was a very good post. Narrow minded is too harsh.

I just wanted newbie readers to know the capabilities that Symantec Ghost can provide.

Dave

Of course you're correct. Thanks for the elaboration of the subject. My write-up was narrow
minded in that it only reflected the way I presently do my backups.

Ask a Question