Slipstreamed/Sysprep'ed SP2 install fails

Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if someone here can help me.

I'm trying to build a Sysprep image of XP with SP2.

However, what I've found is that the first boot of XP SP2 will always fail on my hardware (a custom built low-profile unit). This happens regardless of whether it's the initial slipstreamed SP2 install or the first boot after Sysprep.

Note that SP1 works with no issues.

The lock-up always happens at the same place, after checking my video resolution, I see the XP logo and 'Please wait...' followed by no activity (16 hours and counting)

When I'm installing SP2 from CD, I can reboot once and the system recovers, when I'm booting a Sysprep'ed image, the image is dead, and I have to wipe the disk before I can do anything else (repair installs don't help)

At this point I've accepted that SP2 has some issues with my hardware, I just need some help working out which piece of hardware it doesn't like. Is there any way to get a log of the driver/module which is causing the lockup so I can dig further ? (Or alternatively, has anyone else reached the same point in the past and found a magic wand.)

Thanks for your help,

Matt.

Ask a Question