Slight hiccup

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oops... beg pardon all, I uploaded my first work unit yesterday ... or so I thought, but when tonight's attempted to send, I realized that neither it, or yesterday's had actually gone anywhere
wallbash.gif
I checked out the Help section on WCG and altered some settings, and I think the work has now reached it's destination safely. Sorry about that, what a wally eh? :rolleyes:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
For those with eyesight problems I'll enlarge the text ;)

Taffycat said:
Oops... beg pardon all, I uploaded my first work unit yesterday ... or so I thought, but when tonight's attempted to send, I realized that neither it, or yesterday's had actually gone anywhere
wallbash.gif
I checked out the Help section on WCG and altered some settings, and I think the work has now reached it's destination safely. Sorry about that, what a wally eh? :rolleyes:
You can also check by going to your 'My Grid' page at WCG > Results Status, and use the drop down menus to monitor their progress :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you Ady,:thumb: I shall do that - last time I looked though, it told me that I'd not see anything for 24 hours... but of course, knowing me, I was probably looking at the wrong page :rolleyes:I don't think anything was lost, which would have troubled me the most ... it's surprising how "involved" you tend to feel about crunching, isn't it? Even my husband keeps coming to take a look just to see how things are progressing on the BOINC Manager screen ......... yes I know, we should get out more
laughingsmiley.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm afraid its very addictive - I've been attending 'Crunchers Anonymous' for some time now to no avail :(

:lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and they dared to call me mad. :rolleyes:

:D

* a least I have "release papers" to prove me as sane as the next person *

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Be patient missy, things take time in WCG land ;)

As above. Last week i had 9 pending validation spread across 5days and one random one in the middle which was valid. Now most of those have been verified and i had an influx of points earlier.
There doesnt seem to be any logical order though as i've still got one pending from the 13th and a few with errors.

Happy Crunching... and btw i also keep checking the boinc screen
On a Saturday afternoon i get better results than as a Hammer's fan :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I discovered the interesting graphics on the screensaver today - fascinating stuff :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I discovered the interesting graphics on the screensaver today - fascinating stuff :D
Nice, innit ... however, we tend to turn off screensavers as they take CPU cycles away from WCG ... just turn off the monitor if you are not using the PC.

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nice, innit ... however, we tend to turn off screensavers as they take CPU cycles away from WCG ... just turn off the monitor if you are not using the PC.

:thumb:

Thank you for the tip Cap'n Mucks, :D I have been looking for ways of stopping anything unnecessary from interrupting the crunching activities, I shall get rid of the graphics right now:thumb: :nod: In fact, whilst BOINC is running, I try not to use that laptop at all, as it is a bit low in RAM (512 Mb) so it slows things down too much. We're currently looking for a desktop which will have better cooling and a bit more "oomph" so that we can become even more crunch-drunk :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you for the tip Cap'n Mucks, :D I have been looking for ways of stopping anything unnecessary from interrupting the crunching activities, I shall get rid of the graphics right now:thumb:
nod.gif
In fact, whilst BOINC is running, I try not to use that laptop at all, as it is a bit low in RAM (512 Mb) so it slows things down too much. We're currently looking for a desktop which will have better cooling and a bit more "oomph" so that we can become even more crunch-drunk
laughingsmiley.gif
Like your style, smitten now ain'tcha ...

Been a little concerned myself at the "RAM" needed to "run" WCG ... I'm not impressed. :mad:

I was especially concerned when the MJW PC was being rejected for work because it had insufficient RAM ... that peeved me off no end ... if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted more "oomph" on this PC, and bought more RAM, that I was able then to upgrade MJW to a more respected 1Gb ram

Earlier incarnations were a lot less "hungry" in this line, in fact, most of us started crunchin to make use of idle lower spec PC's

It, technically, should not "slow your PC down" but you ain't alone in this department/problem ... you have to consider the amount of memory needed, and used, by the OS itself ... XP will quite happily eat up 500Mb all by itself.

One reason I use Linux on MJW is the fact that Linux's RAM footprint is a lot less ... still got tripped-up with WCG's new memory recommendations.

Sorry, rambling on here in I :blush:

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sorry Mucks, I mislead you slightly, I meant that if I use the PC, it slows BOINC down just a bit. Actually I'm wondering whether WCG will boot me off, because it only seems to have about three work units in the queue - probably sensible for the PC's capabilities, but will WCG think it's enough, I wonder?

Yes, you are right about me being smitten, :lol: I am thoroughly enjoying the thought that there is some really good stuff going on in the background :D I even find it easier to wake up in the mornings, because I can't wait to fire-up the crunching PC as early as possible. By the way - I took your advice earlier, re the screensaver, and it has made a difference, because I think things are further advanced today, than they were at this time yesterday if that makes any sense :rolleyes:

I have been checking out some of the on-line custom-build PCs but get a tad bogged-down by the choices of cooling devices and what not (I have only ever used laptops, so the desktop set-ups are new territory here.) I've tried to glean some tips from the sigs of some PCReviewers, but all those numbers!!! :lol:

Oh-oh, now who's rambling ... just call me "Sid Rumpole!" :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ah, right *laughs out loud* :lol:

You will find a few of us around ... mad crunchers ... that have PCs that only crunch.

On my "working" PC, I'm sorry to say, it is the reverse ... if I can ever get WCG/Boinc/UD to run correctly on Vista that is ... it will be just to use up CPU cycles I ain't using at the time. However, it will stay on 24/7 so when I am in bed, or whatever, it can have the whole PC to itself. :D

If you are serious in buying a "desktop" PC, which will be more powerful than your laptop, then I suggest a new thread on the subject. ;)

Don't worry over trivial matters such as cooling, Laptop by their nature have there problems, not Desktops. :thumb:

Heck, you could even BIY ... Build It Yourself ... but that can work out a little dearer than a shop bought PC. :user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:thumb: Thanks again Mucks, think I'm beginning to get things into better perspective now (and about time too... I hear you say :D )

muckshifter

Reaction score
Time ?

Here's my take on Time ...

Time is a relativity invented by man to interpret the speed of light ... Einstein has the "credit" for the theory of General Relativity.

However, some 1400 years earlier it was said that ... that angels travel in one day the same distance that the moon travels in 1000 lunar years ... that is ... 12000 Lunar Orbits / Earth Day. Outside gravitational fields 12000 Lunar Orbits / Earth Day turned out to be the known speed of light!!

Well I never ...

I'll be better in the morning, I promise. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
:eek: My brain is now hurting :D
laughingsmiley.gif
oh, I'm sorry ... you wanted the short version. :thumb:

Time, is an invention. :)

Take all the Time you need. :D

:bow:

* I got new eye-drops today ... I can see clearer now *

Ask a Question