Slave not showing in explorer

G

have just installed a new hard drive ( Master) and installed xp on it. My original drive (fat32) has win 98 on it and that is now my (Slave). I have checked the jumpers settings and they are correct. When I go to explore my slave drive is not listed. When I go to Device manager it is listed under hard drives as a SCSI drive , it's an IDE drive. My master drive is also showing in device manager as a SCSI drive and that too is a IDE drive. How can I make my slave drive accessible.
Thanks,
Joe

G

Right now, what you have is a dual-boot system. No Windows OS will read from a disk with a different OS installed. Because it's a bootable disk, it won't be listed on any explorer pane. The reverse is also true. You need to back-up your files on the slave drive and remove the Win 98 OS if you want to use this drive as a secondary drive in Win XP.

J

John C. Yu

You could also try to go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel and select
"Manage Computer (may in different name since I use multi-language version)
and under storage, select your hard disk and assign a new drive number.

In theory, which I tried many times before, it will show the drive even if
an OS is not in it as long as it is not set as a boot drive. However, XP may
not show in My Computer although it detected it correctly unless you
manually assigned a new drive number. Reason is unknown
museruse said:
Right now, what you have is a dual-boot system. No Windows OS will read
from a disk with a different OS installed. Because it's a bootable disk, it
won't be listed on any explorer pane. The reverse is also true. You need to
back-up your files on the slave drive and remove the Win 98 OS if you want
to use this drive as a secondary drive in Win XP.

G

when in disk management I am not able to assign a drive letter to this drive. My only options are delete partition or make it a dynamic drive. Do I need to make the slave drive a non bootable drive and if so how can I do this. If not how do I transfer files from the slave to the master.
Thanks,
Joe

Ask a Question