Site to Zone Assignment List

I have a question or two --> regarding this policy setting...

1) If I create a trusted site via a policy, will that make it so that the
user can no longer add their own trusted sites?

2) If I enable this policy and add sites, will it erase the current trusted
sites that a user already set up?

2) Could you provide me a better example: like adding www.microsoft.com to
the trusted sites zone?

Thanks
Smurfman

Jason Tan

Hi Smurfman,

Thanks for posting!

According to your questions, I would like to provide you with the following
information for your reference:

Q: 1) If I create a trusted site via a policy, will that make it so that
the user can no longer add their own trusted sites?
A: Correct, you can add trusted site via Domain Group Policy and thus do
not need to create them on user side. However, domain user also can add
trusted sites in IE.

Q: 2) If I enable this policy and add sites, will it erase the current
trusted sites that a user already set up?
A: No, It will not remove the current trusted sites which previously
created. Domain Policy just add/append the additional trusted sites and
leaves current sites intact.

Q: 3) Could you provide me a better example: like adding www.microsoft.com
to the trusted sites zone?
A: Please see the following steps.
=========
1. Log on to the domain controller as Administrator.
2. Click "Start", point to "Programs", point to "Administrative Tools", and
then click "Active Directory Users and Computers".
3. Right-click <DomainName> where DomainName is the name of the domain
where you want to edit the GPO.
4. Click "Properties".
5. Click the "Group Policy" tab.
6. Click "Default Domain Policy", and then click "Edit".
7. In the console tree, expand "User Configuration", expand "Windows
Settings", expand "Internet Explorer Maintenance", and then click
"Security".
8. Click "Security Zones and Content Ratings".
9. Click "Import the current security zones and privacy settings", and then
click "Modify Settings".
10. In the "Security" dialog box, click "Trusted sites", and then click
"Sites".
11. Type a site name in the "Add this Web site to the zone:" dialog box
(for example, type" http://www.microsoft.com"), and then click "Add".
12. Click "OK" to return to the "Security" dialog box, and then click "OK"
to return to the "Security Zone and Content Ratings" screen. Click "OK" to
return to the "Group Policy" window.
13. On the client, log on as a domain user. Start Internet Explorer. On the
"Tools" menu, click "Internet Options", click "Security", click "Trusted
sites", and then click "Sites". The site "http://www.microsoft.com" is
listed as a trusted site.

More information for your reference:
293766 Trusted Sites Settings of Internet Explorer Security Zones and
Content
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=293766

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Site to Zone Assignment List
| Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:31:09 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| I have a question or two --> regarding this policy setting...
|
| 1) If I create a trusted site via a policy, will that make it so that the
| user can no longer add their own trusted sites?
|
| 2) If I enable this policy and add sites, will it erase the current
trusted
| sites that a user already set up?
|
| 2) Could you provide me a better example: like adding www.microsoft.com
| the trusted sites zone?
|
| Thanks
| Smurfman

Per Hagstrom

This does not work for me. If I set a GP it overrides the users custom
settings... (takes away what they had, and they can't add any new ones...)
I would like to have a specific domain added to the Intranet Zone, without
messing with the users custom settings.

Am I doing something wrong, should I be able to do this with GP? Or do I
need to do it in a different way, like a registry hack or something?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

/ Per

This Q&A was a big help...

Q: 2) If I enable this policy and add sites, will it erase the current
trusted sites that a user already set up?
A: No, It will not remove the current trusted sites which previously
created. Domain Policy just add/append the additional trusted sites and
leaves current sites intact.

However...Is there an easy way to remove all old trusted sites such as
deleting a file or running a script at logon? I am running Win2K with SP4

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

Please understand that our newsgroup is an issue based service, meaning we
usually respond to one question/issue per post. This will lessen the
confusion for both of us, as well as ensure that our results are accurate
and not a result of a test for a different question. Please open a new post
and post the detailed issue description so that the dedicated MS engineer
can help you on it in a more efficient manner. Thanks for your
understanding!

Best Regards,