Single 8800 versus 2 x 7x series GPU

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new PC and after reviewing this forum believe I will be going for one from Cyberpower Systems. However, I play online gaming regularly and this time I want a powerful graphics setup to make the most of it.

Looking at the Cyberpower configurator I have plumped for a Gamer Infinity SLI 970 and am torn between

1) 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card in an SLI configuration

2) 1 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card, as it runs DX10 with a view to adding a second one later when the prices fall.

Price works out about the same. However, does anyone know if that single 8800 is going to be significantly slower than the Dual SLI pair and if so by how much? Any other thoughts? Secondly, I know the GTX is better than the GT but is this mainly in screen resolution as opposed to speed? I’ve read the NVIDIA marketing but would like to hear from real world experience.

Thoughts, comments etc welcome

Cheers

Ant

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums anfarrow
happywave.gif
- but posting duplicate threads doesn't get a faster response ;)

I have deleted the others, and I'm sure some of our graphics fiends will be along to help you here :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Single 88 for me, great performance less heat and possible problems than the two cards together, and you can add another later. :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'd have to go with V R on this one, single 8800 with a veiw to adding a second card later if needed...DX 10 support thrown in aswell edges it even though no games out there are using DX 10 at the moment...Its mainly for Vista...

Reaction score
Hi there all the test I have read have the 8800 gets better results than 2x7900 so like you I am going for the 8800GTX and getting another when the price drops.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Welcome to the forums anfarrow
happywave.gif
- but posting duplicate threads doesn't get a faster response ;)

I have deleted the others, and I'm sure some of our graphics fiends will be along to help you here :thumb:

Consider me chastised - in truth I wasn't sure where to post it so took the path of least resistance and posted it whereever I thought it may make sense.

I'll know for next time.:blush:

Thanks for the responses so far

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Single 8800GTX or even GTS better option imo cos it's future proof and there wouldn't be a great deal of difference in performance against the twin 7950's.

Gotta say this thread looks suspiciously like a plug for a certain supplier, I'll be keeping an eye on this one...

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Single 8800GTX or even GTS better option imo cos it's future proof and there wouldn't be a great deal of difference in performance against the twin 7950's.

Gotta say this thread looks suspiciously like a plug for a certain supplier, I'll be keeping an eye on this one...

Nope, I've been following the Suppliers forums and so far they seem to be favourably reviewed. My last PC was a scratch build following a PC world Advent MB went on me, and before that Atlantic.

Also looking at Novatech and Overclockers. Have taken the hint and avoided MESH

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
anfarrow said:
Nope, I've been following the Suppliers forums and so far they seem to be favourably reviewed. My last PC was a scratch build following a PC world Advent MB went on me, and before that Atlantic.

Also looking at Novatech and Overclockers. Have taken the hint and avoided MESH

Fair nuff mate :thumb:

Sorry, but we do get a lot of that stuff - cunningly disguised but outrageously obvious plugs for online suppliers, often for suppliers who are complete rip-off merchants as well :mad:

Carry on :)

Reaction score
Righto, I've finally done it. Went for the 8800 GTX, and cyberpower. Will let you all know how I get on.

Ask a Question