Sick of asking questions!

Smart-Alex

No, I'm not mad....just frustrated. I'm tried of having to run to this forum
to ask about everything under sun regarding FP2003 and I'm sure some people
here are tired of my asking.

Since Microsoft doesn't seem to want to publish in-depth manuals about how
to use their software, (and the F1 doesn't tell you HOW) I am open to
recommendations on good FP2003 books. (but NOT "Front Page for
Dummies"...they're a waste of money) For FP2000 I had a QUE book which was
VERY in-depth...and I assume that a lot of it still applies.

Any better recommendations??

Thanks

Alex

Kevin Spencer

Since Microsoft doesn't seem to want to publish in-depth manuals about how
to use their software,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

If you can read everything in the online reference in less than 1 lifetime,
you're a better man than I am (I'm still working on it)!

BTW, if you quote the message to whom you're replying, more people will know
what you're talking about.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Smart-Alex

With all due respect, I don't find the MSDN library that helpful. It seems
to me like a VERY large collection of information but not laid out logically
like a manual or book. Besides, I have found that the people who CREATE the
software are not the best people to describe it or train you on it.

BTW, I wasn't quoting anyone....it was an original post....(?)

Alex

Kevin Spencer

BTW, I wasn't quoting anyone....it was an original post....(?)

Ah, you fooled me by starting with "No, I'm not mad...".
With all due respect, I don't find the MSDN library that helpful. It seems
to me like a VERY large collection of information but not laid out logically
like a manual or book. Besides, I have found that the people who CREATE the
software are not the best people to describe it or train you on it.

It's a reference. Works very well for me, and they have improved it quite a
bit over the years. But if it doesn't help you, it just doesn't, for
whatever reason. I was simply responding to your remark that "Microsoft
doesn't seem to want to publish in-depth manuals about how to use their
software." the MSDN Library is incredibly in-depth. I have the local
computer version, which spans 3 CDs in size. While it may be hard for some
people to find the information in there, it is ALL in there!

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Smart-Alex

While it's true that the MSDN has TONS of information... but a collection of
a LOT of specific info. What I guess I need is something that starts at zero
and takes me logically through a particular topic from start to finish. Like
a lot of visual people, I especially do well with examples. For example I
have tried to get my head around LAYERS...why do we need them?..what are
they good for?...why use them instead of tables and cells?... etc. I haven't
seen anything that tells me why LAYERS have been added to FP2003 (and maybe
2002) and what the advantage is. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that
there need to be an logical start to end explanation of each function. I am
64 and love to learn but I hate picking up a manual and studying. I like to
jump in and DO and then go the manual when I get into trouble. Thats how I
learned FP2000. I just figured it out with some help here and there along
the way. So I guess a QUE type book is more suitable for me and I think for
a lot of people.

Alex

Steve Easton

Don't feel lonely.
Compared to any of the earlier versions FP 2003 is one amazingly powerful ( and as a result hard to
learn to use ) program.

However, the more I use it, familiarize myself with it, the more easy it becomes to use.
For what it's worth, the machine I use has 2 operating systems and 3 versions of FrontPage
installed, and I often have FP 2002 and FP 2003 opened and running at the same time. ( talk about
confusing )

That said, there is an excellent book named "FrontPage 2003 Inside Out" by Jim Buyens ( a FrontPage
MVP by the way ) that is full of information and illustrations. There are other FrontPage books,
but I haven't had the time to peruse them.

Jim also owns / runs a website http://www.interlacken.com/ that is full of tips and illustrations
that will help you.

hth

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Chris Leeds, MVP-FrontPage

FWIW, I learned how to use FrontPage (a while ago) by using a "big book"
like the one Kathleen recommended along with a "light" book (for this I like
the "visually" series).
What I did was use the "light" book to get going and the "big" book to get
some depth in the subject. It worked for me to use both types
simultaneously.
Maybe it'll work that way for you.
try www.bookpool.com I've been using them since I got the tip from this very
NG. ;-)

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

Make More Money with Less Work
Let Your Clients Control Their Content With Just A Browser!
http://contentseed.com/

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

wow, thanks for that book link Chris.

They have Eric Meyer's CSS book for almost half-price of than book store!

/R

| FWIW, I learned how to use FrontPage (a while ago) by using a "big book"
| like the one Kathleen recommended along with a "light" book (for this I like
| the "visually" series).
| What I did was use the "light" book to get going and the "big" book to get
| some depth in the subject. It worked for me to use both types
| simultaneously.
| Maybe it'll work that way for you.
| try www.bookpool.com I've been using them since I got the tip from this very
| NG. ;-)
|
| --
| Chris Leeds,
| Microsoft MVP-FrontPage
|
| Make More Money with Less Work
| Let Your Clients Control Their Content With Just A Browser!
| http://contentseed.com/
| --
| | > No, I'm not mad....just frustrated. I'm tried of having to run to this
| forum
| > to ask about everything under sun regarding FP2003 and I'm sure some
| people
| > here are tired of my asking.
| >
| > Since Microsoft doesn't seem to want to publish in-depth manuals about how
| > to use their software, (and the F1 doesn't tell you HOW) I am open to
| > recommendations on good FP2003 books. (but NOT "Front Page for
| > Dummies"...they're a waste of money) For FP2000 I had a QUE book which was
| > VERY in-depth...and I assume that a lot of it still applies.
| >
| > Any better recommendations??
| >
| > Thanks
| >
| > Alex

Chris Leeds, MVP-FrontPage

I had that book. I think I gave it to Eleanor. the best book IMHO is html
utopia from www.sitepoint.com it was very easy for me to learn potent stuff
quickly and serves as a good reference book too.

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

Make More Money with Less Work
Let Your Clients Control Their Content With Just A Browser!
http://contentseed.com/