Shutdown problems

G

Hi All

Ever since installing W2k SP3, I have been having shutdown problems. Every time I tell the machine to shutdown it reboots. If i go through the start/shutdown, it restarts. If i go through the "Ctrl-Alt-del"/shutdown/shutdown, it restarts.

The only way I can get an actual shutdown is to do one of the following
1. Attempt a shutdown normaly and press the on/off switch during the post
2. Use the power on/off switch on the back of the machine in the power supply. O
3. Pull the plug

I usually do #2 or #3 and wait for scandisk to "do It's thing"

Often when I attempt to do a "norma" shutdown, it gets to the blue "windows" background - NOT A BSofD screen and hangs. If I "pull the plug" then, it will only "do the scandisk thing" about 50% of the restarts

Thanks in advance

G

Hi

I've heard of a problem with XP similar to this, which may affect W2K too. It is to do with an ACPI power management incompatibility

You say you are on SP3? Have you thought of upgrading to SP4 or at least patching SP3 with all criticals to see if this fixes it. Also as ACPI settings reside in BIOS have you checked to see if there is a BIOS upgrase for your machine and flash it

Good Luck

G

Thanks for the input!

The problem started after installing SP3.

I went to a better (in MHO) mb and the problem still exists.

I installed SP4 and still have the problem.

I believe that my ACPI is disabled or in the manual/user defined mode,
Will double check on next reboot.

Tks

Normjr

----- Frank Elson wrote: -----

Hi,

I've heard of a problem with XP similar to this, which may affect W2K too. It is to do with an ACPI power management incompatibility.

You say you are on SP3? Have you thought of upgrading to SP4 or at least patching SP3 with all criticals to see if this fixes it. Also as ACPI settings reside in BIOS have you checked to see if there is a BIOS upgrase for your machine and flash it.

Good Luck

Ask a Question