shut off programs from starting on start up

Turn of programs from auto starting

I have so many programs that open when I start my computer, that it is slow
starting up. I want to turn off programs from automatically starting, I have
tried several things and I am not getting anywheres......any suggestions? You
can email your response to (e-mail address removed)
Thanks

JS

Use msconfig (Start/run/msconfig) is the easiest/simplest way

If you want to dig deeper:
Try Autoruns from the MS Windows SysInternals site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx

AutoRuns will show/list all apps/etc. that load/run when you first boot
(Boot Execute tab),
when you logon (Logon tab) and other programs that load (grouped by labeled
tabs) for easy viewing.

It also provides the ability to selectively allows you to stop (use with
care) any program that you don't want to load. You can undo any changes you
have made.

Note: To get additional details on an item in the list you may need to
highlight the item (right click) and use the 'Search Online' option to get
the details, especially useful for the more obscure items in the list.

JS

"Turn of programs from auto starting" <Turn of programs from auto
news:[email protected]...

Jeff

Many apps place start-up commands in the registry. You have several choices
here, some easy, some dangerous.

1.) see if you can disable the program by clicking on its icon in the tray
and searching for a way to turn it off.
2.) Turn off start up apps using the system configuration utility
Start > Run > in the text field type "msconfig" (without "") > click OK >
click on "startup" tab > uncheck all running applications except virus
software > click Apply > click OK . you will have to restart your PC > when
your PC restarts a box will appear that tells you the configuration has
changed, if all seems to be running well click the check box and the OK >
Your done, you can always reinitialize any process if you find you want it
later.

3.) edit the registry, don't do this unless you know what your doing, dire
results can occur
start > run > in the text box type "regedit" (without "") > click OK > go to
it

Jeff