Should the UK use online voting?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If the UK introduced online voting would you use it? Even more importantly, would you trust it?

Quite a few other countries use online voting systems (and some use electronic voting booths), but there have been claims that they're more susceptible to rigging, hacking and fraud.

No doubt voter "digital turnout" would improve, but at what cost...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I would love to be able to vote online. Its the 21st century ffs. If I can do my banking securely online surely I should be able to vote online too.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It would probably encourage a bigger turn out for votes from the populace but the question is indeed: 'Could we trust it?

NHS hacked, DOS attacks...

Reaction score
I think it would massively improve votes from the younger population.

I think security would have to be a big consideration though, as Flops says. Perhaps some sort of integration with Government Gateway etc.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
No, I am very much against online voting, just as I am about postal votes.

There are communities in this country where everyone is "persuaded" to use postal voting and the "leader" instructs all members how to vote. I am certain that he stands over them as they cast the vote and I'm sure that the same would apply to online voting. This is not democracy, it is abuse, and the only way to ensure fairness is to go to the polling station and cast your vote in a private booth.

IMO postal votes should only be given to people who genuinely cannot get to the polling station because of severe illness. If folks can't be bothered to go and vote once every four years then they don't deserve a vote.

I like the Australian system where anyone on the Voting Register who does not attend a polling station is fined. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Vote in person with some form of ID and have your hands dipped in some form of invisible dye to stop people voting with fake / forged ID

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
This is not democracy, it is abuse, and the only way to ensure fairness is to go to the polling station and cast your vote in a private booth.

Plain language: How to vote in the Finland's parliamentary elections in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd never really considered the fact that voting in a polling station is the only want to ensure that no-one else can oversee who you vote for - but I imagine that is something that does affect a surprising number of votes.

Although I'd really like to see online voting in an ideal world, I wouldn't trust it enough to want to introduce it in the UK - it's one of the only things I'd like to see done manually, as interfering with the process would be much more difficult to do. i.e. levels are tallied at a local and national level, and have plenty of observers.. You'd need to have one heck of an operation to throw results this way.

Election interference does happen at state level and having an online system would only make it so much easier, IMO.

Reaction score
In my view I think there could be too much chance of interference with on line voting for it to be secure. All I can say is that everyone should be mandated as a citizen of the UK over 21 yo to vote, if you do not vote you have no voice on the political decisions and therefore NO RIGHT to criticises the elected government and a hefty fine issued to those who do not vote.

Reaction score
I'm partly with nivrip on this... but mainly I'm not....

I'm in the northwest and several elections ago we were an online test area... pc and phone voting.

Everything worked like a dream and there were no problems... HERE!!!!

Unfortunately an area in yorkshire and an area of the midlands were also tested..... total fiasco....

as nivrip says... the "elder" collected all the voting details and made all the votes as HE wanted it.... it was a farce because it was so noticeable.... suddenly the one candidate got masses of votes when they were obviously out of step with the general area.

The experiment hasn't been repeated

(byt I really hope the work it out properly)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
In my opinion voting should be compulsory and the democracy should be a mandatory subject in schools. Children should be allowed to vote on certain matters in their schools. This would teach them that their vote do matter.
A penalty for not voting could be a reduction in benifits for the poor and an extra tax for workers this would most certainly motivate a larger turnout at elections.
Voting in person should be the norm with postal votes for extreme cases only.
Elections should be held in February or November as folk do not tend to go on holidy at those times.
If someone has never voted by the age of 25 or in the last three elections they should be given a one way ticket to wherever they like and their passport and citizenship revoked.(or shot whichever is the cheapest)

I belive Estonia has e-voting which I think works very well, but then again everyone has an e-identity card. Personally I am not a fan of identity cards if you are forced to carry them with you at all times.

:cool:

Reaction score
i've given my opinion... BTW I'm a postal voter on health grounds

however an explanation on voting times....

May and June are favoured in UK as they are outside normal holiday times.... and November to february are NOT favoured is because of the high possibility of severe weather.. heavy rain, snow and fog.

Reaction score
I believe personally that if you have not voted in any election ether national or local you have no right to criticise any Government, Local Government or Parish Council decisions as you have opted out of the Democratic System because our country is (or supposed to) run on the will of the people.

Ask a Question