Should I Defrag? Do you?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Alf,

In response to your query:

If you notice I have a partition named "Video" which is the largest allocated partition. That is where I work on video for transfer, editing, encoding, and finally burning DVD's. If I fill it up to the brim I will not be able to work on that partition at all.

One hour of video takes up over 20 GB's of hard disk space, while the video resides there I need to encode and burn it as well for which some additional space is also needed. Once the project is over I delete the transferred video and related files for the project. The only thing added after the project is completed is the backup of the disk which may take up an additional 4.35 GB of space. All this is impossible if I fill up my partition to the brim.

On the other hand lets take the C partition, this is where most activity takes place. If it is also filled upto the brim defragmentation will be taking ages or will not be completed at all due to no space available to it for rearranging fragmented files. Since I defragment my drive on a regular basis I need the free space. The DVD burner creates swap disk on this partition as well which needs a lot of space when the activity is taking place. When DVD is being burned 4.35 GB may be taken up temporarily (later freed).

When the HD reaches filled up space of 60% I start planning for another since the change may take anywhere between a week to a month in my case, time permitting for redoing it all, buying a drive, backing up data, transferring data and setting up the new HD. During this time I may be using up space for my work, if my drive was filled upto the brim I will not be flexible in my approach if I want to. All my personal data and files which go back almost 8 years is also backed up on the 2nd drive in addition to backup on media ( which was on CD's before and now is on DVD's)

I bought my first computer almost 25 years ago and I do things based on my own experience. Whatever I learned along the way I try to implement it based on what suits me or works for me. Others can agree or disagree. :D

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mah man Quad is justified. Ah said justified mah brothers :D

On the machine I use for video editing and audio, I have 2 x 120Gb SATA drives in RAID 0 plus another 120Gb drive on an IDE port. That's 360Gb total, give or take a byte or two. It all gets used, but often remains largely empty.

The stand alone drive is divided 100Gb & 20Gb. On the smaller partition I have a Drive Image Backup of the basics on C drive.

Ask a Question