Shortcut Problem Misunderstood/Unanswered

G

Hello,

I have always kept a shortcut to my floppy drive in my quick launch toolbar at the bottom of the screen - until now.

I just bought a new computer with XP/Home. My last one was XP/Home. Here's how I set up the short cut:

Open My Computer, right-click the A:\ icon, properties, send to desktop (create shortcut) boom, it's there. THEN: drag the shortcut onto my quick launch toolbar. It has always worked - until now for some reason.

When I click the icon, I can here a click in the floppy drive but then I get a message that says:

"the drive or network connection that the shortcut "3 1/2 Floppy (A).lnk" refers to is unavailable".

The weird part is, the shortcut WORKS on the desktop, just not from the quick launch. I have this set up on all my work computers which are either XP or 2000pro. Not a big deal, but something must be turned around. Help please. Thanks.

David Brian

D

Dr. Doogie

Same thing happenned to me. The only thing that changed on my systems were
Windows updates and service pack 1. I can't put my finger on which one it
was, but all removable drive shortcuts in the quick launch, floppy and CD
drives, quit working like they used to. Shortcuts to hard drives worked
fine.

BUT, since I've installed SP2 RC2, all seem to work fine again.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

DD

G

Hi All,

Here's the fix that works: Right-click the A drive icon shortcut on my toolbar, click properties, then in the Start In, type: A:\CD\

Don't know the techs of why this works, but it does. Thanks to Squire for the fix.

DB

Ask a Question