Share sound card over network

M

Michal

Hi,

I have one stereo that is connected to a computer, and would like to
play mp3s from another computer on the network. Is there any way to
share a sound card over a network so that songs that are played on one
computer come out of the sound card of another?

I read in a thread

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...r6.451511%40news-server.bigpond.net.au&rnum=7

that a similar request was met with suspision, and there was some
mention of backdoors/trojans. I am really not trying to hack into
someone's computer!

Michal

D

D.Currie

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but you could share
the folder that the MP3's are in, and access them from the computer
connected to the stereo.

If you're not near the computer that's connected to the stereo (which
wouldn't make sense, as you wouldn't hear the music...) and if the computer
connected to the stereo has XP pro, you could do a remote desktop connection
to it, then play the MP3's from a shared folder on the other computer.

If neither of those will do what you want, maybe you could describe it a bit
better.

G

Grant

Michal said:
Hi,

I have one stereo that is connected to a computer, and would like to
play mp3s from another computer on the network. Is there any way to
share a sound card over a network so that songs that are played on one
computer come out of the sound card of another?
There are media players that have a web based interface so you can control them
over the network.

My solution for this was to use an addon for winamp. Here is the one I used:
http://www.webattack.com/get/wwwinamp.html

It works great. Once installed, you start winamp on the system connected to the
stereo, then connect to that computer through your web browser to control it.

Reaction score
ever thought to get a cable with the same sound jack type on both ends?
one end to connect to the computer that plays the sound, in the Line Out / Speaker Line / Output jack
and the other end to connect it to the other computer in the Line In jack on your sound bord

Reaction score
I perfectly understand what Michal wants.

I'm also having a hard time to find a similar solution.

Here is the benefit:

I have a powerful desktop computer connected in a 7.1 sound sound system which I use for gaming, watch movies and well, play music sometimes.

Me and my partner have laptops but the sound from the laptops speakers sucks big time.

What I want is to use winamp, media player or iTunes in any laptop and have the sound playing in my 7.1 boxes.

Also, I don't want my powerful destkop busy or unavailable to use it.

You may ask what's the point of two or more systems to play sound through the same speakers. I tell you they can be used for different things. Gaming and play music, whatever.

All the hardware is there, network is there, why isn't it possible?

The possible solution I see here is to "share the sound board in the Operating System" and make it visible through the network similar to what we do with local printers.

But seems like nobody have a solution on this.

Reaction score
Hi, I signed up so I could write this message

This is something I am looking todo... I have a decent set of speakers connected to the laptop in the lounge but I want the music to be played throughout the flat so the computers in the study will play music in the study and kitchen.

I will post if I find an acceptable way of doing so. I have seen some software that requires a license fee.

Some points to mention..

It is standard behaviour for the operating system to protect IO devices such as the sound card from the network. This is due to security so people can not listen to your microphone and snoop etc. For this reason most software that will allow you to share the sound card will be hacking the operating system and will be picked up and removed by any decent any virus software. I recommend not using software like this!!

It is possible however to have a client/server relationship where you have the sound being picked up and sent to a program on the other system that then redirects output to the speakers. This is something that I am thinking of writting myself so I know that there is no dodgey software involved. If i am able to do so I will post my custom solution, if this would suit your needs

Thanks

Andy

Reaction score
Any new developments on this?

I have a use case for this that I think is more common that people think. I have 3 computers, I have 3 stereo's I have 2 buildings (house and shop) and a back porch. I would like to have the same thing playing in all 3 when I have a party. I would rather stream my music, or listen to the same pandora stream for my party rather than using the FM radio.

I already have all the hardware for each zone if you will to be on the network and they work fine independently, if I am in the shop I can have my music going while the kids are in the house with their music going, but if I would like to sync the 3 that is where I fail to find a solution.

In Itunes I can share the library and I can use my phone to control each player but I can't figure out how to sync the players.

If any one has any thoughts I am all ears.

Ask a Question