Share media across network

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Ok here we go. I currently have music stored on 2 laptops, a desktop and a Mac Pro.
What I really want is one external unit that I can store music, video etc on that I can share with above computers . I basically want music, pictures and videos stored on an external unit so I don't have to store on each of the computers as I am steadily running out of hard drive space and I haven't even got a
¼ of my CD's uploaded yet. Trouble is when I look at various sites, I haven't got a clue what I am looking at. :blush:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well, Some kind of NAS is the obvious answer. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Sky Drive, Amazon Cloud and other Cloud storage sites?

Reaction score
Well I have an 1 tb 31/2 drive in a caddy where I keep my Music pictures and films on Have a look in Amazon for the caddy about £35 and see if you can pick up a drive at a reasonable price.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Sky Drive, Amazon Cloud and other Cloud storage sites?

Nope those are all out of the question. Considering one laptop has 150 gig already

Well I have an 1 tb 31/2 drive in a caddy where I keep my Music pictures and films on Have a look in Amazon for the caddy about £35 and see if you can pick up a drive at a reasonable price.

More after something that plugs into router to share between computers. Something like what V_R has suggested. Just gets a bit confused as to what's what. I shall look more tomorrow and post back with what I find

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Whats your budget?

Bootnecks answer could be done if your router has a USB socket, Mine does (Netgear Readyshare) and i tried a caddy plugged into the router, was too slow though.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a NAS that does exactly what you've described - it shares all the music, pics and videos across the network so that all PC's (+PS3) can access it.

You can get a standalone NAS for around £100 now, then just add a HDD. Or you can go for an integrated solution like this for about £70:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9195853/art/iomega/home-media-network-hard-d.html

There are more expensive NAS units available if you want things like encryption, RAID, webserver, video encoding etc... but from what you've described I don't think it would be worth going for a unit that does all that.

Reaction score
Great bit of info thanks Ian,:thumb: I think I may try that, better than my present caddy and and drive.:bow:

Ask a Question