Setup VPN Server with 1 NIC

My server only has 1 NIC. This is what I encounter then I setup RRAS on Win2K Server

My Win2K Server goes through out Linksys BEFSR41 Router so the Server only has 1 Network Interface Card

Here is how I setup VPN
I open Routing and Remote Access console in the Administrative Tools folder, right-click the server and then click Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access>Virtual private network [VPN] server. Click Next if TCP/IP is only protocol you will use. Select a connection you will connect to on the Internet Connection

Problem is then I get to this point. My only choice is "No Internet" or the only Network interface Card of the Server. When I choose the '3COM' NIC of the server it says

"You have chosen the last available connection as the Internet connection. A VPN Server requires that one connectoin be used as the private network connection.

Do I have to install another NIC? Do can I do this with just one NIC and choose "No Internet Connection" <-- But how will this be configured properly when I choose "No Internet Connection

I will VPN from my house (WinXP Pro[192.168.0.50)through Linksys BEFSR41[public IP]) to my Office (BEFSR41[public ip]> Win2k Server(192.168.0.100

I want to use RDP with VPN so I have a more secure connection. I would also want to a part of the IP Range when I login to my Win2K server so It would seem that I was just part of the local network even though I was working from home. Is there also a step-by-step to set this is

I assume I have to get VPN connected first, then I fire up RDP right

Any ideas

Thanks for the help in advance

Gary Fose [MSFT]

If you only have i NIC in the VPN server, then you will be able to VPN into that server oonly.
Once connected, you will not be able to access anything outside that server. If you want to
access anything on your internal network after making the VPN connection, you will need 2
NICs.

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmNpcw==?=" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Setup VPN Server with 1 NIC
'--'Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 06:36:09 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Deraj

Not true... It will work with only one NIC.

Just make sure you anable the server as a router that does 'lan an
demand-dial routing and 'enable IP router manager' on your interna
interface. Your internal interface will get an address from DHC
(assuming you configured this) and all traffic will route through thi
internal interface to your network. You can even route back out to th
Internet if so desired.

I'm using this setup myself for about 30 users and trust me, there i
no second physical interface. ;)

damn.. just realized hbow old this post is

-
Dera