Setup Questions

Tom Bean

I successfully created a setup application by following the instructions and
example in the "Developing and Deploying Pocket PC Setup Applications"
article. However (there's always a However isn't there?), when my setup was
run on a device with running Pocket PC 2002, the device complained that the
Compact Framework was missing.

Has anyone created a "Setup and Deployment" project that installs the CF in
addition to an application?

Given the size of the CF download (14M), I would like to determine which
version of the CF the user needs to install and provide only the CAB for
that processor. Does anyone know where I could get some information to
accomplish that?

Thanks,
Tom

Awais Mazhar

Try creating an install using the CabWiz.exe provided with
the .NET framework.

-Awais.

Brian Chamberlain [MS]

Tom,

What you're trying to do isn't a scenario directly supported by VS.NET
2003. That's not to say it's impossible, however. What you'll have to do
is create an .INI file that CE Application Manager ( distributed with
ActiveSync ) can use to deploy the correct version of the .NETCF. In the
article you read, you'll notice that there was an .INI file created that
described the various CAB files for your application. You'll have to
create another just like that one for the .NETCF CAB files. You'll then
have to call CEAppMgr again with this new .INI file. Let me know if you
have any problems with it.

| From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:51:29 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Awais,
|
| CabWiz.exe is what the BuildCabs.bat file uses.
|
| Tom
|
| | > Try creating an install using the CabWiz.exe provided with
| > the .NET framework.
| >
| > -Awais.

Tom Bean

Brian,

I am developing a setup application much like you described. The first
thing I am attempting to accomplish is to interrogate the device to learn
which version of the NETCF it needs. I have implemented the RAPI
functionality to get the processor information from the device but am having
trouble determining which CAB file contains the correct version of the
NETCF. That isn't much of a problem with Win CE 3.0 because there are only
4 CAB files, however, with Win CE 4.2, there are 10 CABs. Even with Win CE
3.0, I can't find any information about which CAB you install for a
StrongARM processor.

Is there any documentation that relates the information returned by the RAPI
function CeGetSystemInfo() to the CAB file the device needs?

Thanks,
Tom

Vinay Chaudhari

Brian said:
Tom,

What you're trying to do isn't a scenario directly supported by
VS.NET 2003. That's not to say it's impossible, however. What
you'll have to do is create an .INI file that CE Application Manager
( distributed with ActiveSync ) can use to deploy the correct version
of the .NETCF. In the article you read, you'll notice that there was
an .INI file created that described the various CAB files for your
application. You'll have to create another just like that one for
the .NETCF CAB files. You'll then have to call CEAppMgr again with
this new .INI file. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Hello Brian,

I am currently using CE App Manager for deploying PPC app. But
unfortunately, this approach only works on PPC 2002 and not on PPC2003.
Does I have to do something different to get it work on PPC 2003?

Thanks,
Vinay.

BTW, Stan Adermann in one of his post has recommended not to use CE App
manager for deploying .NETCF Cab files as these file didn't contain
correct processor information (rather they have generic processor
information).

Brian Chamberlain [MS]

Unfortunately, there is no API to map an architecture number to a .NETCF
CAB file name. You'll have to do this mapping yourself. This MSDN article
might help :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdk40/html/cerefsystem_info.asp?f
rame=true

| From: "Vinay Chaudhari" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:05:13 -0700
|
| Brian Chamberlain [MS] wrote:
|
| > Tom,
| >
| > What you're trying to do isn't a scenario directly supported by
| > VS.NET 2003. That's not to say it's impossible, however. What
| > you'll have to do is create an .INI file that CE Application Manager
| > ( distributed with ActiveSync ) can use to deploy the correct version
| > of the .NETCF. In the article you read, you'll notice that there was
| > an .INI file created that described the various CAB files for your
| > application. You'll have to create another just like that one for
| > the .NETCF CAB files. You'll then have to call CEAppMgr again with
| > this new .INI file. Let me know if you have any problems with it.
|
| Hello Brian,
|
| I am currently using CE App Manager for deploying PPC app. But
| unfortunately, this approach only works on PPC 2002 and not on PPC2003.
| Does I have to do something different to get it work on PPC 2003?
|
| Thanks,
| Vinay.
|
| BTW, Stan Adermann in one of his post has recommended not to use CE App
| manager for deploying .NETCF Cab files as these file didn't contain
| correct processor information (rather they have generic processor
| information).

Tom Bean

Brian,

I had read that article but it gives no information about how the
SYSTEM_INFO relates to the CAB files.

For example, which combination of SYSTEM_INFO data tells you to install
netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4I.cab or netcf.all.wce4.MIPSIV_FP.cab?

Tom

Brian Chamberlain [MS]

The wProcessorRevision field of the SYSTEM_INFO structure will give you all
the information you need. From this, you can find out whether the current
processor is an ARM ( PROCESSOR_STRONGARM, PROCESSOR_ARM720 ), MIPS (
PROCESSOR_MIPS_R4000, PROCESSOR_MIPS_R5000 ), etc. The wProcessorLevel and
wProcessorRevision fields will further narrow it down to one CAB. I'll see
if I can't get you a more concrete mapping from the source of these CABs.
If I haven't responded in a few days, please feel free to bug me at
(e-mail address removed). Thanks.

| From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:26:17 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Brian,
|
| I had read that article but it gives no information about how the
| SYSTEM_INFO relates to the CAB files.
|
| For example, which combination of SYSTEM_INFO data tells you to install
| netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4I.cab or netcf.all.wce4.MIPSIV_FP.cab?
|
| Tom
|
| | > Unfortunately, there is no API to map an architecture number to a .NETCF
| > CAB file name. You'll have to do this mapping yourself. This MSDN
| article
| > might help :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdk40/html/cerefsystem_info.asp?f
| > rame=true

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Vinay Chaudhari" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > | Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:05:13 -0700
| > |
| > | Brian Chamberlain [MS] wrote:
| > |

| > |
| > | Hello Brian,
| > |
| > | I am currently using CE App Manager for deploying PPC app. But
| > | unfortunately, this approach only works on PPC 2002 and not on
PPC2003.
| > | Does I have to do something different to get it work on PPC 2003?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Vinay.
| > |
| > | BTW, Stan Adermann in one of his post has recommended not to use CE
App
| > | manager for deploying .NETCF Cab files as these file didn't contain
| > | correct processor information (rather they have generic processor
| > | information).
| > |

Tom Bean

Brian,

I forgot to add that I need the information about how to determine which
version of the CAB files for my application I need to install for a device.

For example, there are two CABs created by BuildCab.bat for the ARM
processor, i.e. MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB and MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB. My main test
device is a Dell Axim whose SYSTEM_INFO indicates it is an ARM processor,
Version 4. However, from other postings, I'm let to believe I should use
the MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB instead of the MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB. Is that correct?

Tom

Brian Chamberlain said:
The wProcessorRevision field of the SYSTEM_INFO structure will give you all
the information you need. From this, you can find out whether the current
processor is an ARM ( PROCESSOR_STRONGARM, PROCESSOR_ARM720 ), MIPS (
PROCESSOR_MIPS_R4000, PROCESSOR_MIPS_R5000 ), etc. The wProcessorLevel and
wProcessorRevision fields will further narrow it down to one CAB. I'll see
if I can't get you a more concrete mapping from the source of these CABs.
If I haven't responded in a few days, please feel free to bug me at
(e-mail address removed). Thanks.

| From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:26:17 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Brian,
|
| I had read that article but it gives no information about how the
| SYSTEM_INFO relates to the CAB files.
|
| For example, which combination of SYSTEM_INFO data tells you to install
| netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4I.cab or netcf.all.wce4.MIPSIV_FP.cab?
|
| Tom
|
| | > Unfortunately, there is no API to map an architecture number to a ..NETCF
| > CAB file name. You'll have to do this mapping yourself. This MSDN
| article
| > might help :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdk40/html/cerefsystem_info.asp?f
| > rame=true

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Vinay Chaudhari" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > | Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:05:13 -0700
| > |
| > | Brian Chamberlain [MS] wrote:
| > |

| > |
| > | Hello Brian,
| > |
| > | I am currently using CE App Manager for deploying PPC app. But
| > | unfortunately, this approach only works on PPC 2002 and not on
PPC2003.
| > | Does I have to do something different to get it work on PPC 2003?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Vinay.
| > |
| > | BTW, Stan Adermann in one of his post has recommended not to use CE
App
| > | manager for deploying .NETCF Cab files as these file didn't contain
| > | correct processor information (rather they have generic processor
| > | information).
| > |

Brian Chamberlain [MS]

Tom,

Here is another API that is much better :

QueryInstructionSet ()

It gives you pretty much a one-to-one mapping. The only problem is, it's
not available on earlier versions of CE. Can you tell what version of
WinCE your device is running against? Is it a PocketPC 2003 device?

Here's an article describing the frustrations people were having with
SYSTEM_INFO.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcedsn40/html/cgconmicroprocessor-sp
ecificissues.asp?frame=true

| From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:25:28 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Brian,
|
| I forgot to add that I need the information about how to determine which
| version of the CAB files for my application I need to install for a
device.

| For example, there are two CABs created by BuildCab.bat for the ARM
| processor, i.e. MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB and MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB. My main test
| device is a Dell Axim whose SYSTEM_INFO indicates it is an ARM processor,
| Version 4. However, from other postings, I'm let to believe I should use
| the MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB instead of the MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB. Is that
correct?

| Tom
|
| | > The wProcessorRevision field of the SYSTEM_INFO structure will give you
| all
| > the information you need. From this, you can find out whether the
current
| > processor is an ARM ( PROCESSOR_STRONGARM, PROCESSOR_ARM720 ), MIPS (
| > PROCESSOR_MIPS_R4000, PROCESSOR_MIPS_R5000 ), etc. The wProcessorLevel
| and
| > wProcessorRevision fields will further narrow it down to one CAB. I'll
| see
| > if I can't get you a more concrete mapping from the source of these
CABs.
| > If I haven't responded in a few days, please feel free to bug me at
| > (e-mail address removed). Thanks.

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| > | Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:26:17 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > |
| > | Brian,
| > |
| > | I had read that article but it gives no information about how the
| > | SYSTEM_INFO relates to the CAB files.
| > |
| > | For example, which combination of SYSTEM_INFO data tells you to
install
| > | netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4I.cab or netcf.all.wce4.MIPSIV_FP.cab?
| > |
| > | Tom
| > |
| .NETCF
| > | article

| > |

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdk40/html/cerefsystem_info.asp?f

| > | rights.

| > | > |

| Manager
| > version
| > was
| with
it.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > PPC2003.
| > | > |
| > | > |
CE
| > App
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Tom Bean

Brian,

I'm trying to target my app at all versions of Pocket PC and the
documentation says QueryInstructionSet() is only available with CE .NET 4.0
and later.

I saw in another posting that the basic version of CF for each processor
type will work. I interpreted that to mean you could install one CF file
for a processor type based on the version of WinCE the device is running.
That gives the following processor to CF CAB mapping:

Processor CAB for WinCE 3 CAB forWinCE 4
ARM netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4.cab
MIPS netcf.core.ppc3.MIPS.cab netcf.all.wce4.MIPSII.cab
SH3 netcf.core.ppc3.SH3.cab netcf.all.wce4.SH3.cab
SH4 netcf.core.ppc3.SH3.cab netcf.all.wce4.SH4.cab

And an application mapping:

Processor CAB for WinCE 3 CAB forWinCE 4
ARM MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB
MIPS MyApp_PPC.MIPS.CAB MyApp_PPC.MIPS.CAB
SHX MyApp_PPC.SH3.CAB MyApp_PPC.SH3.CAB

Is that correct?

Tom

Brian Chamberlain said:
Tom,

Here is another API that is much better :

QueryInstructionSet ()

It gives you pretty much a one-to-one mapping. The only problem is, it's
not available on earlier versions of CE. Can you tell what version of
WinCE your device is running against? Is it a PocketPC 2003 device?

Here's an article describing the frustrations people were having with
SYSTEM_INFO.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcedsn40/html/cgconmicroprocessor-sp
ecificissues.asp?frame=true

| From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:25:28 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Brian,
|
| I forgot to add that I need the information about how to determine which
| version of the CAB files for my application I need to install for a
device.

| For example, there are two CABs created by BuildCab.bat for the ARM
| processor, i.e. MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB and MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB. My main test
| device is a Dell Axim whose SYSTEM_INFO indicates it is an ARM processor,
| Version 4. However, from other postings, I'm let to believe I should use
| the MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB instead of the MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB. Is that
correct?

| Tom
|
| | > The wProcessorRevision field of the SYSTEM_INFO structure will give you
| all
| > the information you need. From this, you can find out whether the
current
| > processor is an ARM ( PROCESSOR_STRONGARM, PROCESSOR_ARM720 ), MIPS (
| > PROCESSOR_MIPS_R4000, PROCESSOR_MIPS_R5000 ), etc. The wProcessorLevel
| and
| > wProcessorRevision fields will further narrow it down to one CAB. I'll
| see
| > if I can't get you a more concrete mapping from the source of these
CABs.
| > If I haven't responded in a few days, please feel free to bug me at
| > (e-mail address removed). Thanks.

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| > | Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:26:17 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > |
| > | Brian,
| > |
| > | I had read that article but it gives no information about how the
| > | SYSTEM_INFO relates to the CAB files.
| > |
| > | For example, which combination of SYSTEM_INFO data tells you to
install
| > | netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4I.cab or netcf.all.wce4.MIPSIV_FP.cab?
| > |
| > | Tom
| > |
| .NETCF
| > | article

| > |

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdk40/html/cerefsystem_info.asp?f

| > | rights.

| > | > |

| Manager
| > version
| > was
| with
it.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > PPC2003.
| > | > |
| > | > |
CE
| > App
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Richard Kucia

What's the latest on this? I could really use a simple example of how to
deploy the Compact Framework to whatever device the user happens to own. Got
the application deployment working fine with EZSetup 2.0.

Thanks.
Richard Kucia

Brian Chamberlain said:
Tom,

Here is another API that is much better :

QueryInstructionSet ()

It gives you pretty much a one-to-one mapping. The only problem is, it's
not available on earlier versions of CE. Can you tell what version of
WinCE your device is running against? Is it a PocketPC 2003 device?

Here's an article describing the frustrations people were having with
SYSTEM_INFO.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcedsn40/html/cgconmicroprocessor-sp
ecificissues.asp?frame=true

| From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:25:28 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Brian,
|
| I forgot to add that I need the information about how to determine which
| version of the CAB files for my application I need to install for a
device.

| For example, there are two CABs created by BuildCab.bat for the ARM
| processor, i.e. MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB and MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB. My main test
| device is a Dell Axim whose SYSTEM_INFO indicates it is an ARM processor,
| Version 4. However, from other postings, I'm let to believe I should use
| the MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB instead of the MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB. Is that
correct?

| Tom
|
| | > The wProcessorRevision field of the SYSTEM_INFO structure will give you
| all
| > the information you need. From this, you can find out whether the
current
| > processor is an ARM ( PROCESSOR_STRONGARM, PROCESSOR_ARM720 ), MIPS (
| > PROCESSOR_MIPS_R4000, PROCESSOR_MIPS_R5000 ), etc. The wProcessorLevel
| and
| > wProcessorRevision fields will further narrow it down to one CAB. I'll
| see
| > if I can't get you a more concrete mapping from the source of these
CABs.
| > If I haven't responded in a few days, please feel free to bug me at
| > (e-mail address removed). Thanks.

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| > | Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:26:17 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > |
| > | Brian,
| > |
| > | I had read that article but it gives no information about how the
| > | SYSTEM_INFO relates to the CAB files.
| > |
| > | For example, which combination of SYSTEM_INFO data tells you to
install
| > | netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4I.cab or netcf.all.wce4.MIPSIV_FP.cab?
| > |
| > | Tom
| > |
| .NETCF
| > | article

| > |

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdk40/html/cerefsystem_info.asp?f

| > | rights.

| > | > |

| Manager
| > version
| > was
| with
it.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > PPC2003.
| > | > |
| > | > |
CE
| > App
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Tom Bean

Richard,

I got confirmation from Brian that my last post with the mapping for the CF
and application CABs was correct.

Tom

Tom Bean said:
[...]

should
use give
you
MIPS
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdk40/html/cerefsystem_info.asp?f

confers
no
| > | rights.

| > | > |

supported
by
| Manager
| > version
| > was
| with
it.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > PPC2003.
| > | > |
| > | > |
CE
| > App
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Brian Chamberlain [MS]

Keep an eye out at :

http://msdn.com/mobility

Soon ( within the next couple of weeks ), we'll be posting a utility to
make deployment from the desktop to the device much easier.

| From: "Tom Bean" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Setup Questions
| Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:55:13 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Richard,
|
| I got confirmation from Brian that my last post with the mapping for the
CF
| and application CABs was correct.
|
| Tom
|
| | > What's the latest on this? I could really use a simple example of how to
| > deploy the Compact Framework to whatever device the user happens to own.
| Got
| > the application deployment working fine with EZSetup 2.0.
| >
| > Thanks.
| > Richard Kucia

| > > I'm trying to target my app at all versions of Pocket PC and the
| > > documentation says QueryInstructionSet() is only available with CE
.NET
| > 4.0
| > > and later.
| > >
| > > I saw in another posting that the basic version of CF for each
processor
| > > type will work. I interpreted that to mean you could install one CF
| file
| > > for a processor type based on the version of WinCE the device is
| running.
| > > That gives the following processor to CF CAB mapping:
| > >
| > > Processor CAB for WinCE 3 CAB forWinCE 4
| > > ARM netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4.cab
| > > MIPS netcf.core.ppc3.MIPS.cab netcf.all.wce4.MIPSII.cab
| > > SH3 netcf.core.ppc3.SH3.cab netcf.all.wce4.SH3.cab
| > > SH4 netcf.core.ppc3.SH3.cab netcf.all.wce4.SH4.cab
| > >
| > > And an application mapping:
| > >
| > > Processor CAB for WinCE 3 CAB forWinCE 4
| > > ARM MyApp_PPC.ARM.CAB MyApp_PPC.ARMV4.CAB
| > > MIPS MyApp_PPC.MIPS.CAB MyApp_PPC.MIPS.CAB
| > > SHX MyApp_PPC.SH3.CAB MyApp_PPC.SH3.CAB
| > >
| > > Is that correct?
| > >
| > > Tom

| > it's

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcedsn40/html/cgconmicroprocessor-sp

| > > rights.

| > > > |
ARM
| > test
| > > processor,
| should
| > > use
| > > > |
| > > > |
| give
| > > you
| MIPS
| > (
| > > wProcessorLevel
CAB.
| > > I'll
| these
| at

| no

| > > > | > |
| > > > | > |
| the
| > > > | > |
| > > > | > |
| > > > | > |
message
This
| > > MSDN

| > > > | > |

| > > > |

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesdk40/html/cerefsystem_info.asp?f

| confers
| > > no

| microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > > > | > | > |
| > > > | > | > |

| supported
| > > by