Setup failed to install the product catalogs.

Andrew

My Windows xp pro. OS crashed and when i tried to re-
install i got a fatal error: "Setup failed to install
product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log
files should contain more information." This is one
problem, but the main problem is that when I reboot, the
setup restarts without promting me for anything which
subsequently brings me to the same error. I would greatly
appreciate any suggestions that any one has to offer
about ending this seemingly endless cycle.

Thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Andrew,
When you get the error, do not click OK on the message.
Do a Shift-F10 to open a CMD prompt.
use notepad to open the setupact.log and setuplog.txt files located in the
root of the Windows folder. Use this to check on the error message to see
if more information it available.

After capturing that information close notepad.
Do a cd\ to get to the root of the C Drive.
type in "Attrib -r -s -h boot.ini" without the quotes.
run notepad boot.ini
Change the timeout value from 1 to 30.
Save the file and exist notepad.
On the reboot you should have the boot menu options again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]