Setting up user registration

G

I recently launched a publication website. One of the upgrades I am planning is to have a user registration process to allow access to web pages with premium content. Once a user has registered, which includes the completion of a brief survey, a password is all that the user will need to enter to the balance of the website.

If this venture works as I have envisioned it, I could have tens (hundreds?) of thousands of registered users. They would be capable of editing their profiles (home address, e-mail address, etc.) at any time. Once logged in, they would have have access to all pages with premium content.

From the beginning, I struggled a bit with FrontPage 2000, but am now reasonably proficient at creating pages, linking items together, etc. However, to take the website to the next level, a new level of sophistication will be required. I'm going to need some help. My website is strictly a moonlighting affair. I don't have time to learn HTML and all the latest programming stuff.

My questions to anyone who can help

What would be the best way to implement a user registration for my website? Does this capability exist within later versions of FrontPage? I know that this capability is commonplace on popular websites. There must be something close to a packaged solution out there.

With your answers to my first question in hand, how should I go about recruiting/screening outside help to do the job? Does anyone have an idea of how many hours a job like this should take? At what competitive rate

- Webrooki

T

Thomas A. Rowe

A server-side scripting application and a database is going to be your best approach, however, how
you will proceed, will be based on the OS your site is hosted under, Unix/Linux or Windows IIS and
what scripting language and database is available.

Also you will need to be concerned with payment processing, etc.

If you like, you can drop me an email directly, as I have done a number of projects with user
registration, as well as one with subscription based content.
--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

webrookie said:
I recently launched a publication website. One of the upgrades I am planning is to have a user
registration process to allow access to web pages with premium content. Once a user has registered,
which includes the completion of a brief survey, a password is all that the user will need to enter
to the balance of the website.
If this venture works as I have envisioned it, I could have tens (hundreds?) of thousands of
registered users. They would be capable of editing their profiles (home address, e-mail address,
etc.) at any time. Once logged in, they would have have access to all pages with premium content.
From the beginning, I struggled a bit with FrontPage 2000, but am now reasonably proficient at
creating pages, linking items together, etc. However, to take the website to the next level, a new
level of sophistication will be required. I'm going to need some help. My website is strictly a
moonlighting affair. I don't have time to learn HTML and all the latest programming stuff.
My questions to anyone who can help:

What would be the best way to implement a user registration for my website? Does this capability
exist within later versions of FrontPage? I know that this capability is commonplace on popular
websites. There must be something close to a packaged solution out there.
With your answers to my first question in hand, how should I go about recruiting/screening outside
help to do the job? Does anyone have an idea of how many hours a job like this should take? At
what competitive rate?

Ask a Question