Set up PC to act as a server

Reaction score
i heard there was a way of using an old PC to act as your server?

is this possible and how do i do it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you want to host webpages for others, or just test things out for yourself? There are quite a few ways to do this, but if you explain I'll list the best options :)

Reaction score
ideally i'd like to host pages for other ppl but in the meantime i just want it to test pages locally.

i've tried installing IIS but this doesn't even list under my Windows Components.

Reaction score
It would be not such a great idea to host pages for other people on an old PC at home.

Why? Your internet connection is probably only 256k upstreak - v slow. Also if it goes wrong or you have a powercut or anything then it wont work... people would be let down...

Reaction score
cool, thanks ian. will give it a go for my local files.

just out of interest thou, know any good web servers with free web space?

i have a website i'm creating for a company and they want to be able to view it

Reaction score
using your PC as a server really isn't a good idea (as chris* mentioned) unless you already know you are going to make mega $$ from it for whatever various reason. This is because in order for it to be worth while, you would have to invest in @least a fractional T1 line, for which you would have to lease a CSU/DSU and DVM modem from telco - making really big monthly bills.

if you wanted to do it, you would have to be hosting quite a few websites for clients to make it worth the $$.

Ask a Question