set-up advice

p.mc

WinXP
A7A266 Socket A Motherboard
DDR RAM / SDRAM

Hello

I've just bought a Maxtor diamondmax plus 9, 250GB, SATA/150, HDD and want
to use it for storage and don't really have much of a clue how to set it up.

My motherboard doesn't have a SATA connection so I'll buy a SATA PCI card
but "which one? And that's where I get lost.

Should I ;
Primary IDE connector.....80GB ATA HDD as master + DVD/RW as slave
SATA PCI card...............250GB SATA HDD as master + CD/RW as slave if
possible, if not could I put it on the secondary IDE connector?

So to summarize;
I've got (two IDE slots) and will have (SATA PCI card) what's the best
set-up with,

250GB SATA HDD
80GB ATA HDD
CD/RW
DVD/RW

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Connect only the SATA drive to the controller card. Leave the others on the
IDE cables.
Primary IDE connector.....80GB ATA HDD as master + DVD/RW as slave
Yes.

SATA PCI card...............250GB SATA HDD as master + CD/RW as slave if
possible, if not could I put it on the secondary IDE connector?

Put the CD/RW on the secondary IDE controller, it won't gain anything by
being on the card.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

p.mc

Thanks Rick

I was looking for a PCI Card and came across an " Adaptec SATAconnect 1205SA
Host controller card "
and was going to buy it when I noticed it was in the RAID category, and
that's when I decided to ask for advice in case I made a costly mistake. Do
I needed to buy one in the IDE category instead?? :))

Regards
pmc
===============

Original post
===============

Treeman

-

"p.mc" sigadd1to reply@btinter****e.com wrote in message
[...]

Adaptec is the de-facto controller card for this. Here is a 2 port
model that's not too expensive:
'Adaptec SATAConnect 1205SA' (http://tinyurl.com/3p5uo)
Treeman

Colin Barnhorst

It may support RAID but that is just an optional use. You may connect one
or two SATA drives and use them just as you do an IDE drive.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

No, that should be fine. Many controller cards support raid configurations,
that's why you see it in that category. An IDE controller card would support
the same type of interface as you already have on the Asus board (I have an
A7A266 in one of my machines at home as well, it's still a nice board though
a bit dated - no sata or usb2). You need a sata controller card to add that
type of device.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

p.mc

Adaptec is the de-facto controller card for this. Here is a 2 port
model that's not too expensive:
'Adaptec SATAConnect 1205SA' (http://tinyurl.com/3p5uo)
Treeman

Hi

In fact that was the first card I looked at, and now I feel more comfortable
with the process.
One last question if I may.

80GB ATA/133........Master primary IDE.....( Slave DVD/RW? )
250GB SATA/150....Master PCI card
( DVD/RW...............Master secondary IDE? )

I will eventually have two DVD/RW for the purpose of backing up DVD and
Karaoke discs on the fly. So would it be better to have;
1xDVD .....slave off primary IDE
1xDVD .....Master secondary IDE
Or put them both on Secondary IDE as Master and Slave?

I really do appreciate Your feedback, once again thanks to all for your
advice

--
Best wishes
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

I generally put both on the same cable, as the data transfer speed of the
devices (both extraction rate and the write buffer) rarely exceeds the
capacity of the cable at 133. If they sputter, try switching master/slave
positions. RW drives generally like to be in the master position.