Set Clock over Internet

Brian

I have 7 WinXPPro computers in my network.
2 of those computers do not have the "Internet Time" tab in the Date and
Time Properties, but the other 5 computers do. They are all identical Dell
systems purchased on the same invoice, and I have not made any large
modifications to the s/w.

How can I get the Internet Time tab to display and work on the 2 computers
that are missing it?

--Brian B

**** Please reply to post in newsgroup. E-Mail address provided will not
work ****

Feng Mao

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting!

I agree.

As Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 domain has W32Time Service, when Windows
XP or Windows 2003 computers join the domain. The Internet Time Tab will
disappear.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289689&Product=winxp

| | > I have 7 WinXPPro computers in my network.
| > 2 of those computers do not have the "Internet Time" tab in the Date and
| > Time Properties, but the other 5 computers do. They are all identical
| Dell
| > systems purchased on the same invoice, and I have not made any large
| > modifications to the s/w.
| >
| > How can I get the Internet Time tab to display and work on the 2
computers
| > that are missing it?
| >
| > --Brian B
| >
| > **** Please reply to post in newsgroup. E-Mail address provided will
not
| > work ****

Brian

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

But that begs another question...

Does this mean that my XP computers on my WinSrv2003 domain automatically
"set themselves" to get the time from the DC? Or do I have to explicitly
tell the XP machine where to get the time from?

Or, should I just specify the name of the TimeServer in my DHCP scope?

--Brian Beckers
--IT Manager
--Giddings & Associates

Feng Mao

Hi Brian,

Yes, you are right! If the computers belong to an Active Directory domain,
the Windows Time service configures itself automatically by using the
Windows Time service that is available on domain controllers. The Windows
Time service configures a domain controller in its domain as a reliable
time source and synchronizes itself periodically with this source. You can
modify or overwrite these settings, depending on your specific needs.

For additional information about how to synchronize Time in Windows XP,
please refer to the below KB article:

307897 How To Synchronize the Time with the Windows Time Service in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307897

For additional information about how to config Window Time Service on
Windows Server 2003, please refer to the below KB article:

816042 How to configure the Windows Time service on a Windows Server
2003-based
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816042

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Brian" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Set Clock over Internet
| Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:51:39 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Thanks, I appreciate the help.
|
| But that begs another question...
|
| Does this mean that my XP computers on my WinSrv2003 domain automatically
| "set themselves" to get the time from the DC? Or do I have to explicitly
| tell the XP machine where to get the time from?
|
| Or, should I just specify the name of the TimeServer in my DHCP scope?
|
| --Brian Beckers
| --IT Manager
| --Giddings & Associates
|
| | > Hi Brian,
| >
| > Thank you for posting!
| >
| > I agree.
| >
| > As Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 domain has W32Time Service, when
Windows
| > XP or Windows 2003 computers join the domain. The Internet Time Tab will
| > disappear.
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "none" <[email protected]>