services.exe, 99% CPU usage

Cory949

I have been running Win 2000 Pro for several years.
Service Pack 4 is installed and has been for some time.
Recently, upon a fresh boot or waking up from "standby",
services.exe consumes 99% of the CPU for 5-7 minutes at a
time. I tried reinstalling SP4 to no avail. Several
times an hour, the PC simply locks up while services.exe
chomps away at whatever it's doing.

If I had recent installed new programs, drivers or
whatever, I would know where to look. Other than the
automated updates, nothing new has been done to the
system. I'm running an IBM Netfinity 933 MhZ, 40 gig
HDD, 512 Ram.

I would appreciate any feed back...

dcdon

Try running an online virus scan.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/
Third one under Virus Definitions

--
Happy Holidays,
don

I have been running Win 2000 Pro for several years.
Service Pack 4 is installed and has been for some time.
Recently, upon a fresh boot or waking up from "standby",
services.exe consumes 99% of the CPU for 5-7 minutes at a
time. I tried reinstalling SP4 to no avail. Several
times an hour, the PC simply locks up while services.exe
chomps away at whatever it's doing.

If I had recent installed new programs, drivers or
whatever, I would know where to look. Other than the
automated updates, nothing new has been done to the
system. I'm running an IBM Netfinity 933 MhZ, 40 gig
HDD, 512 Ram.

I would appreciate any feed back...

Did the scan, nothing found. I'm running Norton virus so
I wasn't expecting anything. I'm also running SpyBot. I
run my laptop under 2000 as well and it has had the same
MS Updates applied as well, no problem with the laptop in
regard to services.exe

steve

Don't know if this will be of any use, but I had a similar
problem when I installed a SATA 80 gb hard drive; lots of
CPU usage for no apparent reason (and also lockups and
other problems); installed a regular ATA 80 gig hd and the
problem went away. XP Pro should have handled the sata
hard drive and manufacturer's drivers, but didn't...

dcdon

Did the scan, nothing found. I'm running Norton virus so
I wasn't expecting anything. I'm also running SpyBot. I
run my laptop under 2000 as well and it has had the same
MS Updates applied as well, no problem with the laptop in
regard to services.exe

Sorry, scan to bottom
I have been running Win 2000 Pro for several years.
Service Pack 4 is installed and has been for some time.
Recently, upon a fresh boot or waking up from "standby",
services.exe consumes 99% of the CPU for 5-7 minutes at a
time. I tried reinstalling SP4 to no avail. Several
times an hour, the PC simply locks up while services.exe
chomps away at whatever it's doing.

If I had recent installed new programs, drivers or
whatever, I would know where to look. Other than the
automated updates, nothing new has been done to the
system. I'm running an IBM Netfinity 933 MhZ, 40 gig
HDD, 512 Ram.

I would appreciate any feed back...

You can do an IN-Place upgrade.. (you will need to do your SP's and hotpatches
If you would to try, here it is.
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change