Service Pack 2 installation customization?

Russ Sanderlin

Is it possible to customize the way Service Pack 2
installs on a machine other than just the command line
switches which do not offer that much other than stream
line the actual deployment experience to the user.

I want to know how to tweak SP2 to remove the firewall
functionality immediately without having to come behind
and run netsh.

If not, I suppose maybe a batch file would work for the
entire installation?

Shenan Stanley

Russ said:
Is it possible to customize the way Service Pack 2
installs on a machine other than just the command line
switches which do not offer that much other than stream
line the actual deployment experience to the user.

I want to know how to tweak SP2 to remove the firewall
functionality immediately without having to come behind
and run netsh.

If not, I suppose maybe a batch file would work for the
entire installation?

It's released?

Mike Kolitz

The best you can get for right now is info about the release candidates.
Microsoft has a huge amount of information available about them here,
including a lot of firewall deployment info.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

I would recommend, however, that you learn to work *with* the firewall
instead of just turning it off completely. Even if all your workstations
are behind a corporate firewall, there's still benefit to having another
layer of security on your workstations.

Rob

i dont know about installing it on machines already running, but for
machines you're building using unattended techniques, there are many
unattend.txt options for installing sp2 once you've slipstreamed it.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

"Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2"

Windows XP Service Pack 2 provides Windows Firewall, an enhanced firewall that is
enabled by default. This white paper describes the methods used to deploy Windows Firewall
settings in a managed environment:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1&DisplayLang=en

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Russ Sanderlin" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| > Is it possible to customize the way Service Pack 2
| > installs on a machine other than just the command line
| > switches which do not offer that much other than stream
| > line the actual deployment experience to the user.
| >
| > I want to know how to tweak SP2 to remove the firewall
| > functionality immediately without having to come behind
| > and run netsh.
| >
| > If not, I suppose maybe a batch file would work for the
| > entire installation?

I completely agree, but deploying this service pack is
going to create a lot of corruption here. Politically the
environment I am in requires some precise configuration to
make everyone happy. At the very least, I simply wanted to
know if I could just turn the firewall off and build it up
later.

Thank you all for the information though!!!

Russ Sanderlin, MCSE