Service Pack 1 - how much longer?

I still don't have Vista service pack 1 on my PC. It's not being offered to
me via Windows update. I think I'm write in saying it's because I have
incompatible drivers or something. Isn't that the reason for the staggered
roll out?? This rules out the manual download as I'm at risk from damaging
my installation.

I'm using a Dell laptop bought in the last 18 months so we're not talking
about delays because of some obscure hardware or manufacturer. Is anyone
from Microsoft reading this newsgroup? Can anyone tell me when the Vista
users like me will get service pack 1.

What am I missing out on? I know that SP1 is bound to include security
updates so I'm guessing that my laptop is at some sort of risk until I get
hold of this update.

PD43

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

I think I'm write in saying it's because I have
incompatible drivers or something. Isn't that the reason for the staggered
roll out?? This rules out the manual download as I'm at risk from damaging
my installation.

I'm using a Dell laptop bought in the last 18 months so we're not talking
about delays because of some obscure hardware or manufacturer. Is anyone
from Microsoft reading this newsgroup? Can anyone tell me when the Vista
users like me will get service pack 1.

What am I missing out on? I know that SP1 is bound to include security
updates so I'm guessing that my laptop is at some sort of risk until I get
hold of this update.

TaurArian

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and is
not offered by Automatic Updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

How to obtain the release notes for Windows Vista Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936330

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/

Notable changes in Vista SP1
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...f706-401e-abb5-eec42ea0a03e1033.mspx?mfr=true

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

<paul> wrote in message |I still don't have Vista service pack 1 on my PC. It's not being offered to
| me via Windows update. I think I'm write in saying it's because I have
| incompatible drivers or something. Isn't that the reason for the staggered
| roll out?? This rules out the manual download as I'm at risk from damaging
| my installation.
|
| I'm using a Dell laptop bought in the last 18 months so we're not talking
| about delays because of some obscure hardware or manufacturer. Is anyone
| from Microsoft reading this newsgroup? Can anyone tell me when the Vista
| users like me will get service pack 1.
|
| What am I missing out on? I know that SP1 is bound to include security
| updates so I'm guessing that my laptop is at some sort of risk until I get
| hold of this update.

I have Sigma Tel audio but Dell isn't offering an updated driver. I have the
latest drivers that are on the Dell Web site. My original questions remain
and is anyone from MS reading this newsgroup?

FACT: My PC remains at risk without Service Pack 1. There's no indication of
how long users like me are going to be in this situation.

Yes and I've downloaded the latest drivers. Still no Service Pack 1. So like
many other users I have a legal copy of Vista that doesn't have the best
possible level of security.

There's a two tier system in effect for Microsoft Windows Vista customers

Lisa

Your PC is not at risk. You will still get security updates as needed. Dell
and HP laptops are the biggest offenders for SP1 incompatibility, and both
for the same reason, sound drivers, and chipset drivers.

Justbob30

Paul, welcome to a well known place, I reside there as well....I like to
call it DELL HELL, they are your sole source of support because they put so
much propritary stuff on your computer but they loose interest as soon as
the new models come out :).... can't ask them for help because your problem
is not on the sheets they read off.

I have a E-520, also with the Sigma Tel driver....Go into control panel,
uninstall the Sigma Tel. reboot, let Vista install the MS sound drivers,
reboot, you should have SP-1 in your updates (they sound may suck BTW). let
it install, let the computer run a couple of days to distance your sp-1
install in the roll back & make sure everything else is
working.....re-download and install the last Sigma Tel drivers Dell released
for your computer.
I have had no problems doing this, I installed sp-1 within a week after it's
initial (non beta) release.

PD43

Yes and I've downloaded the latest drivers. Still no Service Pack 1. So like
many other users I have a legal copy of Vista that doesn't have the best
possible level of security.

IF you have been keeping pace with all the critical updates, yes it
does.

Believe that.

Leonard F Kiesling

hi justbob!

could you provide a few step by step directions after entering the control
panel, as to uninstalling the sigma tel. i have a dell e-521.

thank you, len kiesling

TaurArian

To get support from MS -

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18,
2009.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=8&y=7&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available at
no charge through 18 Mar-09
.. US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921
.. CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921
.. UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921
.. AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11274&gprid=500921
.. Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx

--

<paul> wrote in message |I have Sigma Tel audio but Dell isn't offering an updated driver. I have the
| latest drivers that are on the Dell Web site. My original questions remain
| and is anyone from MS reading this newsgroup?
|
| FACT: My PC remains at risk without Service Pack 1. There's no indication of
| how long users like me are going to be in this situation.
|

| | > Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from
| > Windows Update and is
| > not offered by Automatic Updates:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
| >
| > How to obtain the release notes for Windows Vista Service Pack 1
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936330
| >
| > How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/
| >
| > Notable changes in Vista SP1

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...f706-401e-abb5-eec42ea0a03e1033.mspx?mfr=true

| > --
| >
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org
| > ======================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
| >

| > <paul> wrote in message | > |I still don't have Vista service pack 1 on my PC. It's not being offered
| > | me via Windows update. I think I'm write in saying it's because I have
| > | incompatible drivers or something. Isn't that the reason for the
| > staggered
| > | roll out?? This rules out the manual download as I'm at risk from
| > damaging
| > | my installation.
| > |
| > | I'm using a Dell laptop bought in the last 18 months so we're not
| > talking
| > | about delays because of some obscure hardware or manufacturer. Is anyone
| > | from Microsoft reading this newsgroup? Can anyone tell me when the Vista
| > | users like me will get service pack 1.
| > |
| > | What am I missing out on? I know that SP1 is bound to include security
| > | updates so I'm guessing that my laptop is at some sort of risk until I
| > get
| > | hold of this update.
| > |

Justbob30

Step one, go to the Dell website & download the Sigma Tel driver they have
for your pc, store it somewhere you can find it later.
Presuming you are in the Vista Control panel (not classic view), it is
really quite simple, click programs, uninstall a program...give the screen a
few seconds to populate, scroll down to "Sigma Tel Audio" click on it and it
should start uninstalling....say ok or yes to any warnings about
uninstalling.
Reboot, you could go into device manager and search for new hardware but I
think the rebooting is better for a clean uninstall.
You should get a popup on restart, found new hardware, let vista install the
drivers then go check your windows update. If service pack 1 isn't showing,
re boot but I think I probably would regardless.
After using sp1 a couple of days go ahead and reinstall the sigma tel
driver, I don't really recall exactly but I think you will find the ms sound
driver in the control panel if so, uninstall the same as before, if not,
just go ahead and install the sigma tel, reboot & everything should work
fine at least, I had no problems.
And of course, as with everything on the internet, this fix comes with a
money back guarantee which expires about 3 seconds after your first read of
this post :).

farid

I downloaded the SP1 for Vista Home Basic on a Toshiba laptop and it
installed smoothly.
I copied this SP on a flash drive and transferred it to my Dell 280 which
has Vista Ultimate but this failed to install and says go to
http://go.microsoft.com/?Linkid=101139.
The download is apparently 64 bit and I do not know if my system is 32 bit.
All other updates have been obtained from the Microsoft update site and
automatic updates.
Is SP1 different for Home Basic and Ultimate ?
Please help.
Farid

Hiren

The link is taking me to the Microsoft.com search page.
Anyway,press `Windows key+Pause/Break`.In the new window that opens,check
the field `System type` to know whether the o. s. is a 32-bit or a 64-bit
one.
By means of `downloading the service pack 1`,I assume that you meant to say
that you downloaded the standalone comprehensive installation file.Please
tell if that is not the case.

I downloaded the SP1 for Vista Home Basic on a Toshiba laptop and it
installed smoothly.
I copied this SP on a flash drive and transferred it to my Dell 280 which
has Vista Ultimate but this failed to install and says go to
http://go.microsoft.com/?Linkid=101139.
The download is apparently 64 bit and I do not know if my system is 32 bit.
All other updates have been obtained from the Microsoft update site and
automatic updates.
Is SP1 different for Home Basic and Ultimate ?
Please help.
Farid

farid

Hi Hiren,
Yes, I downloaded the standalone comprehensive installation file which was
433 mb. This installed very smoothly on Vista Home Basic and improved the
performance of the system. My Vista Ultimate is on 32 bit
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Farid

Forgive my ignorance, but if I'm getting critical updates anyway then why
the delay with with Service Pack 1? Do I really need it? What am I getting
in SP1 that I'm not getting in by way of critical updates

Might be an idea if they did then they would see how the average user is
trying to cope with Windows