\\servername is not accessible. You might not....

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Am new to this thread... I got a small problem.. let me explain.

I got 4 PC in a network in which one is windows2003 and rest is XP.. The problem is i have a shared folder in windows 2003 and i cant access that folder from any of my other PC and it give the error as below.

\\servername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure:the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

So can any one help me in solving the problem... It worked for long time and suddenly today i face this... I have given all permissions...

Thanks & Regards,

slogan

Reaction score
Hi,
Not sure! but I would advise checking the Group Policy (GPEDIT.msc):
Computer Configuration > Windows settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > user right Policies> Access this computer form the network = Everyone, ASPNET, Administrators, Users, Power Users, Backup operators
Did you changed your Workgroup/AD configuration?

Reaction score
Is this a Domian or WorkGroup environment?
Are you able to do a \\servername from the 2003 server itself?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Is this a Domian or WorkGroup environment?
Are you able to do a \\servername from the 2003 server itself?

+1 Internets

We would need to know a little bit about the setup. Domain or Workgroup? Active directory running on the Domain?

Typically, if you add the user from the accessing machine to the share permissions, you will get access, but only for that user. Unless you add the "everyone" group to the share. This will allow anyone to access the data. In a workgroup scenario, all machines must have that workgroup name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry Silverhazesurfer, it looks like a spam poster bumped this up to the top (their post has been removed) - the rest of the thread is a few years old.

Although it's good to have the problem resolved after all these years :D

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
son of a......:blush:

I must pay more attention to these dates. I went through and changed the format as was posted a little while back. I have been trying at least. :lol:

Ask a Question