Serious Hardware Damage

G

Hello everyone again,

Actually i posted this problem a few weeks back and i was expecting a reply from MS as well, but i count find any. So i write some of my observations, which i want everyone over there to read and correct me if i am wrong.

Problem.
I wanted to preset monitor display resolution. So i added the "Device: Display" component and changed the settings to "1024*768", 16 bit, and 60Hz refresh rate (My monitor can support upto 1600*1200 wit refresh rates ranging from 60 - 85). And i DID NOT change the settings in the Video Adapter (Intel Video Controller, in my case). So it obviously holds the default settings. I built the image, ran the FBA, but on my first boot (After FBA), i find that there is no display and later realized that the monitor is damaged. So, I have come to the conclusion that because of potentially conflicting settings in the two components could have caused the damaged. It's only a conclusion i have drawn given the events that occured.

Do you all agree with this? Do you have any more ideas? Is this behaviour common ? If it is, i would suggest warning messages to be included stating the possible damages we can have, if the two component settings doesnt match. It would help new commers like me in future

Thanking you,
Vaddina Prakash Rao
Winnov

G

But then i feel do we really need both components together. Isnt it enough to have either one of them ? I will give it a try ?

Prakash

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi,

You only can use one component. I personally use "Device: Display" and only copy files for all cards I need.
If you go by the book. You will use only one driver with PnP Id for specific graphic adapter and set resolution there.

Anyhow. Including multiple components should not your monitor, if it did then your monitor videoadapter/monitor manufacturer should
give you a warning not to use resolutions above certain range.
Are you sure that this was not just a bad luck? Hardware can die it happens.

Regards,
Slobodan

G

hi,
you can be right. It can be a case of pure bad luck. I agree that even if we include two components for the same hardware, there shouldnt be any damage, because during FBA, the phase of the component is what that matters. The device:display will be configured either after or before the actual video controller Device, depending on its phase (in the worst case of same phase order, using the ordinal number). So this means FBA should use only one of the two settings, how conflicting they may be !!!

As i have said in my previous post, my monitor vendor says, it does support the specified settings. But then it died ?? So ultimately we can only blame the usual hardware death.

thanks again,
Vaddina Prakash Rao

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi,

Also be careful with two or more different settings. I don't know but probably both settings will be applied in short time. And
maybe your monitor could not handle two sudden resolution changes. Although you can check in registry if there are two separate FBA
steps one they are merged in one by TD.

Regards,
Slobodan

prakash437 said:
hi,
you can be right. It can be a case of pure bad luck. I agree that even if we include two components for the same hardware, there
shouldnt be any damage, because during FBA, the phase of the component is what that matters. The device:display will be configured
either after or before the actual video controller Device, depending on its phase (in the worst case of same phase order, using the
ordinal number). So this means FBA should use only one of the two settings, how conflicting they may be !!!
As i have said in my previous post, my monitor vendor says, it does support the specified settings. But then it died ?? So
ultimately we can only blame the usual hardware death.

Ask a Question