File Associations

G

I am back
i have another problem with respect to my previous post a few hours back. See the post "Include Help Files for a Custom Component". I created a few files with wordpad. When i tried to open them they doesnt remeber their association with WORDPAD. So XP comesup with a dialog box to select the application that can run the file. How can i make it remember that i has to open with WORDPAd only. What component possibly am i missing this time ?

thanks again
Vaddina Prakash Rao
Winnov GmbH.

K

KM

prakash437,

Unless you want to change command actions for a particular file association (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key), Windows remembers specific
folder settings under [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell] and [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam] keys. You may want
to take a look at the keys.
Read this and see if it helps: http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-11.html

Also, always remember that you have tools like Regmon/Filemon to find out what's missing from your image or what a particular
application saves in registry.

Hope you are not running EWF and all the changes you make are persistent through reboot.

--
KM,
BSquare Corporation

I am back,
i have another problem with respect to my previous post a few hours back. See the post "Include Help Files for a Custom
Component". I created a few files with wordpad. When i tried to open them they doesnt remeber their association with WORDPAD. So XP
comesup with a dialog box to select the application that can run the file. How can i make it remember that i has to open with
WORDPAd only. What component possibly am i missing this time ??

Ask a Question