Sending .wps documents by e-mail

G

I have recently bought a new computer with Windows XP pre-installed. I had my CV on my old computer that had been typed and saved as a .doc using Word 2000. When I copied my CV over to the new machine it only opens as a .wps document. I sent this to various employment agencies and all of them have responded by saying they are unable to open the attachment. I re-saved the document using Wordpad but it looks terrible on the screen and I don't seem to be able to change it, although if you view through print preview it is OK and it seems to print OK. I've re-sent it in this format and hopefully it will be Ok but I'm trying to make a good impression on prospective employers but can't even send a decent copy of my CV. Help!

G

Gordon

Sue Riva said:
I have recently bought a new computer with Windows XP pre-installed. I
had my CV on my old computer that had been typed and saved as a .doc using
Word 2000. When I copied my CV over to the new machine it only opens as a
..wps document.

That's because obviously you have Works on your new machine instead of Word

I sent this to various employment agencies and all of them have responded
by saying they are unable to open the attachment. I re-saved the document
using >Wordpad but it looks terrible on the screen and I don't seem to be
able to change it, although if you view through print preview it is OK and
it seems to print >OK. I've re-sent it in this format and hopefully it will
be Ok but I'm trying to make a good impression on prospective employers but
can't even send a decent >copy of my CV. Help!

Have you got the Word 2000 CD from your old machine? If so, install that.

M

Mary Sauer

You are able to "save as" in Works to a Word document.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm
news://msnews.microsoft.com
Sue Riva said:
I have recently bought a new computer with Windows XP pre-installed. I had my CV
on my old computer that had been typed and saved as a .doc using Word 2000. When I
copied my CV over to the new machine it only opens as a .wps document. I sent this
to various employment agencies and all of them have responded by saying they are
unable to open the attachment. I re-saved the document using Wordpad but it looks
terrible on the screen and I don't seem to be able to change it, although if you view
through print preview it is OK and it seems to print OK. I've re-sent it in this
format and hopefully it will be Ok but I'm trying to make a good impression on
prospective employers but can't even send a decent copy of my CV. Help!

G

Mary's answer is correct if some what sparse in it's explanation. When you go to save a document you click file\save as on the tool bar at the top right and then a window opens up. That window will have a "save as type:" line. To the right of that is an arrow. This is a drop down list arrow and if you click that arrow you will see that you can save the documents in a variety of styles including some universal ones like .txt . Choose the "save as" option of your choice and then click ok. Good luck.

Ask a Question