Sempron?


N

News Gig

I see a board on the Specials page at Fry's Outpost site. It says board with
2500+ Sempron.

What is a Sempron, where is it on the processor food chain, and what board
is it that they are offering?
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dee

News said:
I see a board on the Specials page at Fry's Outpost site. It says board with
2500+ Sempron.

What is a Sempron, where is it on the processor food chain, and what board
is it that they are offering?
The Sempron supposedly replace the Duron in the socket A version and in
the socket 754 version is a stripped down Athlon 64 without 64-bit
extended memory capability.

You don't provide a URL to look at, but the MB would probably be a
socket A with an updated BIOS.

Did you read the description of the item?
 
M

Monster

the gay version of the athlon xp. AMD is definately beginning to smell a bit
on a cheap side. They use the same "ratings" yet a sempron 2800 for example
is slower than an athlon 2800xp
 
T

Toshi1873

I see a board on the Specials page at Fry's Outpost site. It says board with
2500+ Sempron.

What is a Sempron, where is it on the processor food chain, and what board
is it that they are offering?
Use it in the same situation where you'd use an Intel
Celeron. As in, not for gaming, not for video editing,
not for high CPU required workloads. Probably does
alright as a general purpose office CPU (as in light WP,
some spreadsheet work, creating presentations in power-
point, browsing the web).
 
D

David Maynard

Monster said:
the gay version of the athlon xp. AMD is definately beginning to smell a bit
on a cheap side. They use the same "ratings" yet a sempron 2800 for example
is slower than an athlon 2800xp
Well, I imagine their logic would be that that's the rating for 'budget'
processors and that Intel does the same thing by 'name', I.E. a 2.4 GHz
Celeron doesn't perform like a 2.4 Ghz P4, so it shouldn't be surprising
that a Sempron 2800+ doesn't perform like a Athlon 2800+.

It would seem, however, that, at least partially, violates the original
'reason' they promulgated for the rating system: a 'uniform' means of
comparison rather than simply clock speed.
 
N

News Gig

Dee said:
The Sempron supposedly replace the Duron in the socket A version and in
the socket 754 version is a stripped down Athlon 64 without 64-bit
extended memory capability.

You don't provide a URL to look at, but the MB would probably be a
socket A with an updated BIOS.

Did you read the description of the item?

Here it is...

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4202624

Maybe I'm looking right at the name on this thing... but I don't think so.
Looks to me like it might be an ECS or PCChips... but I dunno.

I think the board in my main computer died, and I need to replace it on the
cheap... but I don't want crap either. Will be using Paint Shop Pro a good
bit with lots of plug-ins, but my Duron 1.3 seems to keep up for the most
part right now... or did till the MB died.

I always see everyone going on about the great deals at Fry's Outpost... but
this is about the only thing I see that seems like much of a bargain.
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Al

I see a board on the Specials page at Fry's Outpost site. It says board with
2500+ Sempron.

What is a Sempron, where is it on the processor food chain, and what board
is it that they are offering?
On the board:

It only has 2 DDR sockets, which puts it at the low end. The
"Chipset: VIA KT333" means that it will not support PC3200 at full
speed, the limit is 166.5 MHz clock, 333 MHz FSB.

The Sempron has the same core as the Athlon, but less cache memory.
Whether it performs differently than the Athlon is like all situations
with cache, it depends on the application or benchmark.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dee

News said:
Here it is...

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4202624

Maybe I'm looking right at the name on this thing... but I don't think so.
Looks to me like it might be an ECS or PCChips... but I dunno.

I think the board in my main computer died, and I need to replace it on the
cheap... but I don't want crap either. Will be using Paint Shop Pro a good
bit with lots of plug-ins, but my Duron 1.3 seems to keep up for the most
part right now... or did till the MB died.

I always see everyone going on about the great deals at Fry's Outpost... but
this is about the only thing I see that seems like much of a bargain.
I don't see any info on the MB. Call them and ask.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

Sempron? 5
Sempron or xp ?? 2
PC133 in a Sempron System? 3
Socket A Sempron 3100? 1
PSU for Sempron 2400+ 11
Duron vs. Sempron? 2
Sempron vs P4 5
barton vs Sempron 6

Top