From: "Maurice N ~ MVP" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: security update for Excel viewer 2003
Date: 19 March 2006 20:36

X under "Satus", click on the red X.
That will lead to a popup window with the actual error number & some text.
Please do that & post back the info.

Maybe your prior failures were in the download phase, & not in the actual
install phase, otherwise a log would be expected.

Yes, I suppose you may remove the Excel viewer.

Before you do that though, go to the MS Download Center, and get the viewer
security update by download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d1-0542-475b-91b5-90dd2af2c0fc&DisplayLang=en

Save it to disk, then run it to install.

John

I donloaded it to the hard drive but it still wouldn't install.
I wondered if the message on the download document might be the reason, I've
copied it again:
Office2003-kb914451-fullfile-enu.exe: You might need to provide the
installation source during patch installation

John
You should save to your hard drive, instead of a floppy.

John

Well, thanks very much.
The viewer and the security update were installed.

John

So then, did that prompt come up & if so, did you input a reply?

You have an alternative. Remove the viewer using Control Panel Add-Remove
Programs.
Go to MS Download Center, where you can download both the viewer and the
latest patch for it.
Be sure to save them to a unique folder on your hard drive. That folder is
then the installation source.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=excel viewer 2003&DisplayLang=en

Just a tech

I was having the same issue as John. Thanks for the fix, the viewer
and the security update are now installed with no errors returned.