Search tool for viewing remote (log) files (over SSH) with auto-update ?

• Thread starter Camille Petersen
  • Start date
C

Camille Petersen

I need a tool on my local computer which can connect to a remote (Unix) computer through
SSH, then retrieve a particular remote file and display it locally (and updates automatically
the content whenever the remote content changes).

Yes, I can do it with separate single steps with e.g. Putty and remote command line commands.
But this is rather unconvenient on a long run.

I remember that there is a tool which eases this re-curring operation but I
cannot remember the name.

Has someone a recommendation?

Camille

V

vfr800ch

Try Retrospective, it supports connections over SSH

http://www.retrospective.ch

It counts the number of times the search term has been found

It has user definable recognition of different line splitting (date at beginning, or IP address, or newline etc, simply by a config tool where you mark with the cursor the beginning of the line)

It has user definable recoginition of different date formats (mid line, for example)

It has user definable (including log4j.PatternLayouts like %d %p %c - %m) column splitting that presents the results in a column view (like excel) - you can then filter in each column so that you only display, for example, Error or warning

Results are ordered by date (if no date in the file, results are ordered by result found order..)

It has tabs like a web browser as well as bookmarks and history. There is an explode and implode feature for the tabs (useful only if you have multi-monitor setup)

It has an iTunes like (data) sources tab that allows different profiles (effetcively groups of files) to be defined, so it's easy to, for example, define a profile for production, test or development distinct from each other.

It can manage many thousands of files in hundreds of profiles and regularly searches through 15K files on one server alone.

Files can can be individually defined or using a wildcard in the file name or by simply selecting a whole directory.

There are definable filter parameters (date, containing string, string ends with) and there is a results bar showing density of results (analogous to your hot spot need) in the time range you searched within.

It supports local files or remote SSH.

It runs on windows, Linux or Mac.

It also allows tail as well as search, so once you've found something, you can switch to tail to see when it happens again (useful when testing or developing..)

It's a commercial product and costs $58, but of course you can download it and try if for a month first to see if it's what you need.

Kevin

I need a tool on my local computer which can connect to a remote (Unix) computer through
SSH, then retrieve a particular remote file and display it locally (and updates automatically
the content whenever the remote content changes).

Yes, I can do it with separate single steps with e.g. Putty and remote command line commands.
But this is rather unconvenient on a long run.

I remember that there is a tool which eases this re-curring operation but I
cannot remember the name.

Has someone a recommendation?

Camille

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question