Windows 7 Scroll lists jumping to top

Reaction score
On a regular basis, long windows (Explorer etc.) that you scroll down will jump back to the beginning.

I think that this only happens in Explorer - I do a lot of work in explorer so certainly notice it here. It is intermittent from about 2 minutes (rarely) to 20 minutes, averaging somewhere between 5 & 10. It occurs with text, icons or images on screen.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have background slideshow enabled out of interest (i.e. a desktop background that changes every so often)? There have been reports that this causes the issue you are describing.

Could you also try going to Settings > Personalization > Colours and make sure that "Automatically pick and accent colour from my background" is un-ticked? That seems to work for some people, as un-related as it may sound!

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I do not have background slideshow enabled and cannot even find "Automatically pick an accent colour from my background" Is this a WIN7 feature? In any event I am sure I do not have this active - it would drive me nuts!

David

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My apologies - that's a Windows 10 feature, I forgot this was a Windows 7 machine (I've added the Win 7 tag to the title now).

Do you have a trackpad, stylus tablet or any other unusual input devices connected to the machine? Also, does the same problem happen in safe mode? I'd be interested to know about the latter, as it may be a 3rd party plugin/app causing the problem.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Also, do you have any mouse software running (i.e. Logitech SetPoint)?

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

No, nothing out of the ordinary installed. I do have a Logitec M705 wireless mouse - it is set on the basic settings. I also have a Microsoft wireless keyboard. I tried setting up several screens of scrolled text/images and then turned off the mouse. I have just come back to the machine and the Explorer screens have jumped to the top but not the others I tried (FTP programme and HTML editor).

Prior to the above I re-booted into Safe Mode and the problem did not occur.

David

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it didn't occur in safe mode, then it's likely one of your startup apps causing the problem. Could you please run "msconfig" from the run box, then go to the "startup" tab and post a screenshot(s) of all the entries. I'll have a look and see if any of them look problematic - I'm sure we can fix this for you :).

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks again for the reply. I attach screen shots of both Startup & Services

David

Attachments

• services.jpg
    services.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 140
  • startup.jpg
    startup.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 172

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks David. Can you please try disabling that Logitech startup item (just untick it and click ok), reboot, then see what happens please?

If that doesn't work, it may be worth disabling all the startup items and then add them back a few at a time to see if that works.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I upgraded to WIN10. At 3840x2160, 32bit, 30hz this problem remains. However at 3840x2160, 32bit, 60hz, YCbCr420 (no choice for 444 or 442) the problem goes away. However at 60hz text in some programmes shows not as black but as red/black/blue. This occurs at both native text size (100%) and 125% - my preferred option as 100% is too small to read comfortably. I have tried 50hz and it makes no difference (the next choice down is 30hz). I cannot show you this colour split as screen captures show text as black (no it's not my eyes!).

David

Ask a Question