Windows XP screen turn off

Reaction score
Windows XP sp2, professional
Microsoft mouse
Inspiron notebook

I have my power options set to turn off the screen after three minutes of non-use. This worked fine until a few days ago, now it doesn't turn off no matter what I set it at.
Is there some way to correct this and get it back to the way it was?

Reaction score
matofthemint said:
Tried that, it didn't workl.

Right click Start>properties> set it to Classic in the start menu> in the task bar check the ticks that are done [ticked] and tell me.

Reaction score
No new installs.

In the taskbar ticked -
lock the taskbar
keep taskbar on top
group similar taskbar buttons
show the clock
hide inactive icons

Reaction score
matofthemint said:
No new installs.

In the taskbar ticked -
lock the taskbar
keep taskbar on top
group similar taskbar buttons
show the clock
hide inactive icons

Untick Highlighted......

Reaction score
itsme said:
Untick Highlighted......

Sorry to sound like a complete fricking idiot here, but please i'm begging you please do tell me how unchecking a couple of checked boxes that are nowhere near related to the problem is actually going to solve the problem...???Please the suspence is killing me..???

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Sorry to sound like a complete fricking idiot here, but please i'm begging you please do tell me how unchecking a couple of checked boxes that are nowhere near related to the problem is actually going to solve the problem...???Please the suspence is killing me..???

I have had that problem before on many a PC and by doing as I said solved it, dont know why but it did? I thought the solving of it were to do with task bar locking:confused: they worked after a reboot.

Reaction score
If all else has failed you could try doing a repair installation over the top. Thats usually fixs a multitude of problems :D

Reaction score
Triplex, that avtar of yours is a bit spooky...I thought for a minute I was going to faint or pass out as me eyes started going blurry....good thing somebody pointed out that it was not me feeling unwell, but just your .gif....:lol: :lol:

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
If all else has failed you could try doing a repair installation over the top. Thats usually fixs a multitude of problems :D

Yes that were my next suggestion ;) BUT? as it is a production PC have you a XP installation disc:nod: yes? ok boot to first boot CD/DVD ROM and run repair follow the instructions:)

Reaction score
It's a Dell laptop with a restore disk which takes it back to as it came from the factory. I don't want to do all that. I'll see if it has a repair on it.

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Ahhh, oh dear, Restoration disk huh....hmmmmm.

Yukk!

Thats why I didn`t suggest that [Repare]option earlier as with most purchased PCs you only get the Restoration disk.:) Now I think it is time for ALL production companies to supply ALL discs required to do a repare rather than a restore to their conformities or bullshyte as I see it.. yes I know they give them if asked for BUT! Not for older models:rolleyes: So whats left to do RESTORE? Save what you need and do a restore as I see no other option I may be wrong mind you:bow:

[Oh I wish I had a dell]
wallbash.gif

Reaction score
matofthemint said:
It's a Dell laptop with a restore disk which takes it back to as it came from the factory. I don't want to do all that. I'll see if it has a repair on it.

If you have the licence/product key phone Dell and ask them to provide you with a disk with your OS on it...As you are the owner of the licence/product key, they are required by law to provide you with a hard copy (CD) of the OS

Reaction score
Is that the law in the U.S. also I wonder? I'll give it a try. Getting to the right person or deptartment here is a bit of a chore and often takes several attempts.
I did ask for a disk some time back and they sent me a new set of restore disks.
I wonder if there is a registry correction that could be made - any ideas on this?

Reaction score
matofthemint said:
Is that the law in the U.S.

It is a publishing law world wide..Wether you are in the U.S of A or in scunthorpe..
Anyway onto serious stuff..Have a look <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654"> here at Microsoft</a> on how to install Recovery Console for XP..Once you have follewed the steps, you should be able to do a Repair Install without loosing any of your Data..

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
one option that you have is to remove and reinstall the ACPI components in Device manager. the issue that you have is power options related. There is a possibility that you will end up removing other components with it, so it is recommended that if you try this, have your drivers CD or exe's ready to install software. If you have a retail PC, chances are it will install all by itself since you don't have a true Windows disc. If you home built it, or had someone build it, grab your motherboard CD. That should have what you need.

Go to Device Manager:

Start>control panel>System

or

Right Click My Computer on the desktop, or if you have it, in the Start Menu. click Properties
Click the Hardware Tab at the top then Device Manager button.

Look for System Devices, click the [+]
look for anything listing ACPI. Most likely will be ACPI power button, things like that. should be in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 items

right click and choose uninstall.

once the unistall has finished, click the computer icon in the menu bar at the top. if you hold the mouse over it, a box should show indicating it is Scan Computer for Hardware Changes.

the hardware wizard will show up. At this point, if it installs automatically, cool. relax and wait for restart.

If not. you have two options. Run the exe for your drivers or explore the CD and locate the proper files. Probably will find a folder called drivers, one for english and one for the model of the hardware.

If you have to install from CD. Follow the prompts to install the software manually. Choose the option to install from disc. choose Have Disk, then browse the disc to the location. Click the associated Next's and should install without issue.

You may have to install using the Windows CD. Be sure to have that handy too.

Again, this is not recommended if you are uncomfortable with these types of component installs. It should remove and reinstall all of the associated files with power management. At which point, you should have your screen options back.

good luck.

-surfer

Ask a Question