Screen black - no response?

BertieBigBollox

Was working fine. I always leave PC running but came back and this is
what I get. Screen black but monitor light on so its getting some sort
of input. Doesnt 'wake up' when I move mouse /hit keyboard.

Rebooted. Seems to be booting OK but just boots into this black
screen.

Tried safe mode. This works OK. Did system restore to yesterday - no
joy.

Any ideas? I'm wondering whether my graphics card is screwed or
something? (Safe mode uses the default graphics drivers doesnt it?)
I've got a Ubuntu dual boot so maybe I should try that to see if its a
'general' problem with the display or problem with windows xp?

BertieBigBollox

If you're graphics card was the problem you wouldn't see the mouse
pointer  right?

(Safe mode uses the default graphics drivers doesnt it?)> I've got a Ubuntu dual boot so maybe I should try that to see if its a

It's a problem with XP. No need to even bother trying. It's a corruption
problem.

And you have gotten *no* error messages of any kind in the last couple
days?

Has the computer *always shut itself off properly before this? (not
standby, but off)

No mouse pointer.

No error messages. It was all working last night, left switched on,
black screen this morning.

8

83LowRider

Was working fine. I always leave PC running but came back and this is
what I get. Screen black but monitor light on so its getting some sort
of input. Doesnt 'wake up' when I move mouse /hit keyboard.

Rebooted. Seems to be booting OK but just boots into this black
screen.

Tried safe mode. This works OK. Did system restore to yesterday - no
joy.

Any ideas? I'm wondering whether my graphics card is screwed or
something? (Safe mode uses the default graphics drivers doesnt it?)
I've got a Ubuntu dual boot so maybe I should try that to see if its a
'general' problem with the display or problem with windows xp?

Try a new monitor.

Bucky Breeder

Was working fine. I always leave PC running but came back and this is
what I get. Screen black but monitor light on so its getting some sort
of input. Doesnt 'wake up' when I move mouse /hit keyboard.

Rebooted. Seems to be booting OK but just boots into this black
screen.

Tried safe mode. This works OK. Did system restore to yesterday - no
joy.

Any ideas? I'm wondering whether my graphics card is screwed or
something? (Safe mode uses the default graphics drivers doesnt it?)
I've got a Ubuntu dual boot so maybe I should try that to see if its a
'general' problem with the display or problem with windows xp?

Did you delete the Windows file or reformat your medicine cabinet?

You may need to repair your MBR with a good tool...

I like Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional... 'cause it's
just so darn easy. But there are several alternatives,
even free ones, you can find with your Google options.

<Teh Google> | "repair mbr..." [It'll work you from there...}

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and EVERYBODY knows
that the "U" in "UFO" stands for "WTF"!

"St00pid is as 'Lookout' does." -- Forrest Gump's Mamma

"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe."
-- Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Repent! The end is near... Or, good luck if there's an apocalypse.

§

§ñühw¤£f

Was working fine. I always leave PC running but came back and this is
what I get. Screen black but monitor light on so its getting some sort
of input. Doesnt 'wake up' when I move mouse /hit keyboard.

Rebooted. Seems to be booting OK but just boots into this black
screen.

Tried safe mode. This works OK. Did system restore to yesterday - no
joy.

Any ideas? I'm wondering whether my graphics card is screwed or
something? (Safe mode uses the default graphics drivers doesnt it?)
I've got a Ubuntu dual boot so maybe I should try that to see if its a
'general' problem with the display or problem with windows xp?

There lots of things to experiment with listed here:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-22454-screen-goes-blank-after-starting-windows

HTH

Desk Rabbit

Works in safe mode though ???
Which runs in low res. Your monitor *could* have developed a fault in
the particular resolution you run in. Any how, it's a simple test that
will tell you very quickly whether the fault is in the monitor or the base.

Nil

Was working fine. I always leave PC running but came back and this
is what I get. Screen black but monitor light on so its getting
some sort of input. Doesnt 'wake up' when I move mouse /hit
keyboard.

Rebooted. Seems to be booting OK but just boots into this black
screen.

Tried safe mode. This works OK. Did system restore to yesterday -
no joy.

Try logging in as a different user. You may find that user doesn't have
the same problem, which would mean it's a problem with your profile.

Since you can get into Safe Mode, check the Event Viewer for clues as
to what may be happening.

chuckcar

No mouse pointer.

No error messages. It was all working last night, left switched on,
black screen this morning.

There you go. Power brownout caused it to fark up. Happens all the time.
Turn it *off* when you're not using it. I've had it happen several times
in one day during a long compilation in linux. And I *know* the installation
is clean - gcc has real problems with a corrupted installation.

tango

Dont know if this will help but there is a similar problem with Win 7.
Check this out, may provide some help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/5b94b775-992e-4f48-b3ff-c89b3cf45e82/

Ted

"(e-mail address removed)" wrote in message

Was working fine. I always leave PC running but came back and this is
what I get. Screen black but monitor light on so its getting some sort
of input. Doesnt 'wake up' when I move mouse /hit keyboard.

Rebooted. Seems to be booting OK but just boots into this black
screen.

Tried safe mode. This works OK. Did system restore to yesterday - no
joy.

Any ideas? I'm wondering whether my graphics card is screwed or
something? (Safe mode uses the default graphics drivers doesnt it?)
I've got a Ubuntu dual boot so maybe I should try that to see if its a
'general' problem with the display or problem with windows xp?

chuckcar

No mouse pointer.

No error messages. It was all working last night, left switched on,
black screen this morning.

Sorry, you want a *solution* that fixes windows. 1. shut the computer
*completely* off when you're not using it - power companies are
unreliable and unless you have a UPS, This *will* happen again. 2. Boot
into safe mode, open control panel, then System then device manager. In
device manager open the "+" signs beside Display adapters and Monitors.
One at a time remove *all* of them and reboot. If your monitor and video
card are working, windows will install clean drivers on reboot. If the
video card isn't working, you won't see anything on reboot (no BIOS
screen and/or no windows background). If the monitor is not working, you
will see windows add in the driver for the video card and reboot. If
both are working, you will see your normal desktop on the second boot.

BertieBigBollox

Sorry, you want a *solution* that fixes windows. 1. shut the computer
*completely* off when you're not using it - power companies are
unreliable and unless you have a UPS, This *will* happen again. 2. Boot
into safe mode, open control panel, then System then device manager. In
device manager open the "+" signs beside Display adapters and Monitors.
One at a time remove *all* of them and reboot. If your monitor and video
card are working, windows will install clean drivers on reboot. If the
video card isn't working, you won't see anything on reboot (no BIOS
screen and/or no windows background). If the monitor is not working, you
will see windows add in the driver for the video card and reboot. If
both are working, you will see your normal desktop on the second boot.

Fixed it. Removed all video drivers etc as the poster here suggests.
Windows started up ok then (albeit in default graphics driver mode).

Downloaded and reinstalled video drivers and it works ok now. weird.

§

§ñühw¤£f

Fixed it. Removed all video drivers etc as the poster here suggests.
Windows started up ok then (albeit in default graphics driver mode).

Downloaded and reinstalled video drivers and it works ok now. weird.

Dont worry, it wont count in the perceived usefulness department: Chuck
will continue to be scapegoated as per our hallowed tradition requires.

:)

chuckcar

Fixed it. Removed all video drivers etc as the poster here suggests.
Windows started up ok then (albeit in default graphics driver mode).

Downloaded and reinstalled video drivers and it works ok now. weird.
Yeah, well if windows *doesn't* have drivers, then it's a problem. Glad
you could manage the rest.

chuckcar

Dont worry, it wont count in the perceived usefulness department:
Chuck will continue to be scapegoated as per our hallowed tradition
requires.
Hardly. I'm far from the only useful poster here that gets such replies.

Bucky Breeder

chuckcar said:
Yeah, well if windows *doesn't* have drivers, then it's a problem. Glad
you could manage the rest.

My Windows doesn't have any drivers,
so I do just like Carrie Underwood says...

and just let Geezus take the wheel!
So, when is she gonna grow some boobies anyways?

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',