Scheduled Tasks settings fails when hibernated to "Wake the computer to run this task"

M

Michel Merlin

In "Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks" I have a task ("BitDefender"), set to start daily at 03:01, that in the bottom of its "Settings" tab, has the "Wake the computer to run this task" checked.

(BD's internal scheduler can't wake properly; BD when contacted replies this will be fixed later)

The computer is a laptop, Uniwill 223ei0, BIOS AMI 223, XP Pro SP2 b2600; in "Start > Settings > CP > Power Options > Advanced > Power buttons" it is set so that pressing power button or closing lid makes the PC hinernate, and pressing sleep button makes it Stand By.

When the PC is in Stand By, it duely wakes at 03:01. But when it is hibernated, it doesn't start.

Anyone knows how I could make Windows work as announced on this? TIA,

Versailles, Mon 10 Sep 2007 13:00:00 +0200

M

Michel Merlin

I have a very simple test task in "Scheduled Tasks": opening "Scheduler Test.txt" (a very short text file just for this test, with ".LOG" as first characters, which causes Notepad to add the time at each opening of the file).

- On Tue 4 Nov 2008 10:10 +0100 I schedule this task to run once at 10:13, then I Standby. The PC duly wakes up and runs the task.
- On Tue 4 Nov 2008 10:20 +0100 I schedule this task to run once at 10:23, then I Hibernate. The PC does NOT wake up - and of course does NOT run the task.

This situation has ever been so on this PC (my 2006 laptop, Windows XP Pro). Meanwhile all this always worked properly on my desktop PC (Windows 2000).

On Mon 10 Sep 2007 13:00:00 +0200 I already posted about this (see Parent Message), but none had an answer. After 14 months I am reposting, in case something new arose meanwhile...

Versailles, Tue 4 Nov 2008 15:02:20 +0100

----- Parent Message -----
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Archived in: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/efa090568ad537db
Sent: Mon 10 Sep 2007 13:00:00 +0200
Subject: Scheduled Tasks settings fails when hibernated to "Wake the computer to run this task"

In "Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks" I have a task ("BitDefender"), set to start daily at 03:01, that in the bottom of its "Settings" tab, has the "Wake the computer to run this task" checked.

(BD's internal scheduler can't wake properly; BD when contacted replies this will be fixed later)

The computer is a laptop, Uniwill 223ei0, BIOS AMI 223, XP Pro SP2 b2600; in "Start > Settings > CP > Power Options > Advanced > Power buttons" it is set so that pressing power button or closing lid makes the PC hinernate, and pressing sleep button makes it Stand By.

When the PC is in Stand By, it duely wakes at 03:01. But when it is hibernated, it doesn't start.

Anyone knows how I could make Windows work as announced on this? TIA,

Versailles, Mon 10 Sep 2007 13:00:00 +0200

M

ManyBeers

To hibernate the computer, instead of closing the lid or using the power
button, create a shortcut:

Right-click the Desktop select New/Shortcut, click Browse and navigate to
C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe..and select it and click OK. Name it
Hibernate(or whatever you want). Right click the shortcut select properties
and clear the Target field and paste this:
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 1 1 0
in the Start in field it should say C:\Windows\system32, click apply and
your down.
Click the shortcut and it should hibernate the computer and also allow Wake
events.

M

Michel Merlin

Thx for replying, however there is no reason why a shortcut would work better than lid or button. Your changes in parameters could (if related to the cause of the XP Pro bug), but I tested, and as expected it didn't work. Thx anyway for trying.

Versailles, Fri 7 Nov 2008 09:09:35 +0100

----- Parent Message (links are clickable)-----
Sent: Wed 5 Nov 2008 09:36:07 -0800 (17:36:07 GMT)
Subject: RE: Scheduled Tasks FAIL to wake PC from Hibernation (yet DO wake from
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

To hibernate the computer, instead of closing the lid or using the power button, create a shortcut:

Right-click the Desktop select New/Shortcut, click Browse and navigate to
C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe..and select it and click OK.
Name it Hibernate(or whatever you want).
Right click the shortcut select properties and clear the Target field and paste this:
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 1 1 0
in the Start in field it should say C:\Windows\system32, click apply and your down.
Click the shortcut and it should hibernate the computer and also allow Wake events.

----- Parent Message (links are clickable)-----
Sent: Tue 4 Nov 2008 15:02:20 +0100 (14:02:20 GMT)
Subject: Scheduled Tasks FAIL to wake PC from Hibernation (yet DO wake from Standby)

I have a very simple test task in "Scheduled Tasks": opening "Scheduler Test.txt" (a very short text file just for this test, with ".LOG" as first characters, which causes Notepad to add the time at each opening of the file).

- On Tue 4 Nov 2008 10:10 +0100 I schedule this task to run once at 10:13, then I Standby. The PC duly wakes up and runs the task.
- On Tue 4 Nov 2008 10:20 +0100 I schedule this task to run once at 10:23, then I Hibernate. The PC does NOT wake up - and of course does NOT run the task.

This situation has ever been so on this PC (my 2006 laptop, Windows XP Pro). Meanwhile all this always worked properly on my desktop PC (Windows 2000).

Reaction score
The rundl command apparently has three switches. When I changed the second switch to 0, the computer began waking up to perform the scheduled task.

"rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 1 0 0" when executed will put the computer in standby and allow it to wake up for scheduled tasks.

Ask a Question