Scanreg | Restore and System Restore

Daleje

I'd appreciate a layman's explanation of the difference between 98's Scanreg
Restore [which I found valuable a time or two] and XP's System Restore. I
assume that XP is an improvement. Thanks much.

Ramesh

Daleje,

Scanreg backsup the registry files (system.dat, user.dat, system.ini &
win.ini files) only.
System restore monitors the registry, core system file (.exe, dll and many
other file types) and has a list of file types which are backed up.

Ramesh
(e-mail address removed)

I'd appreciate a layman's explanation of the difference between 98's Scanreg
Restore [which I found valuable a time or two] and XP's System Restore. I
assume that XP is an improvement. Thanks much.

Gary Thorn [MVP-Windows Technologies/Xbox]

I'd appreciate a layman's explanation of the difference between 98's Scanreg
Restore [which I found valuable a time or two] and XP's System Restore. I
assume that XP is an improvement. Thanks much.
.

For more information or troubleshooting on System Restore
see this MS web site:

http://tinyurl.com/1770

System Restore is much more complex than scanreg was and
does much more.

ERunt would do the same as what the old scanreg would do:
www.aumha.org/freeware.php#erunt

Hope this helps!

Gary Thorn
MVP-Windows Technologies/Xbox
Associate Expert

confers no rights

More about the Windows XP Expert Zone:

More about the MS MVP Program:
http://tinyurl.com/n08

Daleje

Thanks to both respondents.
Subject: Scanreg | Restore and System Restore
From: "Gary Thorn [MVP-Windows Technologies/Xbox]" (e-mail address removed)
Sender: "Gary Thorn [MVP-Windows Technologies/Xbox]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:30:09 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
xa06.phx.gbl
I'd appreciate a layman's explanation of the difference between 98's Scanreg
Restore [which I found valuable a time or two] and XP's System Restore. I
assume that XP is an improvement. Thanks much.
.

For more information or troubleshooting on System Restore
see this MS web site:

http://tinyurl.com/1770

System Restore is much more complex than scanreg was and
does much more.

ERunt would do the same as what the old scanreg would do:
www.aumha.org/freeware.php#erunt

Hope this helps!

Gary Thorn
MVP-Windows Technologies/Xbox
Associate Expert

confers no rights

More about the Windows XP Expert Zone:

More about the MS MVP Program:
http://tinyurl.com/n08

Alex Nichol

Daleje said:
'd appreciate a layman's explanation of the difference between 98's Scanreg
Restore [which I found valuable a time or two] and XP's System Restore. I
assume that XP is an improvement.

Scanreg backed up *just* the registry. SR backs up that and also
changes in system and some other files, so that if you restore with it,
it puts back a consistent system. Read up at the FAQ -
http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp