scanpst for outlook 2003


G

Guest

I've had 2003 for a couple of yrs and have setup a wireless network recently
and now when i pull up outlook, I cannot get into my email folders..it tells
me:

This error usually appears if the OST or PST file you are using is:

Unavailable

Protected with file permissions

On a share on a server and the network is down

Corrupt

To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local computer.

You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools to verify
file integrity.

**It's as if the files locked down or something, but I never locked the
files down..

Has this happened to anyone else??/
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Roady [MVP]

Outlook doesn't care about a wireless or wired connection so that change has
no effect whatsoever on Outlook.

What mail account type are you using?
Are you using pst-files?
Are they stored locally on your computer?
Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail?
What is the size of the pst-files?
 
G

Guest

What mail account type are you using?: I am using HTTP/MSN

Are you using pst-files? Yes, personal Files

Are they stored locally on your computer? YES, C/drive

Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail? YES
they are.

THis is only happening on my laptop, same email on my main puter is just
fine. It's puzzeling. I tried opening the data mngmt files and it says:
The set of folders could not be opened. An unexpected eror has occured. MAPI
was unable to load the info svc msncon.dll. Be sure the svc is correctly
installed and configured. (i just reloaded Outlook-but I get same msg)?

I am confused?



Roady said:
Outlook doesn't care about a wireless or wired connection so that change has
no effect whatsoever on Outlook.

What mail account type are you using?
Are you using pst-files?
Are they stored locally on your computer?
Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail?
What is the size of the pst-files?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003


-----

Lexie said:
I've had 2003 for a couple of yrs and have setup a wireless network
recently
and now when i pull up outlook, I cannot get into my email folders..it
tells
me:

This error usually appears if the OST or PST file you are using is:

Unavailable

Protected with file permissions

On a share on a server and the network is down

Corrupt

To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local computer.

You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools to verify
file integrity.

**It's as if the files locked down or something, but I never locked the
files down..

Has this happened to anyone else??/
 
R

Roady [MVP]

In the case of using the MSN Connector this is easier to solve since all
data is being kept online. You can remove your MSN account through Control
Panel-> Mail, close the Mail applet, and then add your account again. Note
that for the MSN Connector you need to choose Other when being asked what
kind of mail account you want to add.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003


-----

Lexie said:
What mail account type are you using?: I am using HTTP/MSN

Are you using pst-files? Yes, personal Files

Are they stored locally on your computer? YES, C/drive

Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail?
YES
they are.

THis is only happening on my laptop, same email on my main puter is just
fine. It's puzzeling. I tried opening the data mngmt files and it says:
The set of folders could not be opened. An unexpected eror has occured.
MAPI
was unable to load the info svc msncon.dll. Be sure the svc is correctly
installed and configured. (i just reloaded Outlook-but I get same msg)?

I am confused?



Roady said:
Outlook doesn't care about a wireless or wired connection so that change
has
no effect whatsoever on Outlook.

What mail account type are you using?
Are you using pst-files?
Are they stored locally on your computer?
Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail?
What is the size of the pst-files?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003


-----

Lexie said:
I've had 2003 for a couple of yrs and have setup a wireless network
recently
and now when i pull up outlook, I cannot get into my email folders..it
tells
me:

This error usually appears if the OST or PST file you are using is:

Unavailable

Protected with file permissions

On a share on a server and the network is down

Corrupt

To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local
computer.

You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools to
verify
file integrity.

**It's as if the files locked down or something, but I never locked the
files down..

Has this happened to anyone else??/
 
G

Guest

thanks Roady for the link-once I get outlook going again that w/b useful. I
have a MSN acct, not sure the connector will help although I did download it.
BUT, my syst is saying it doesnt have scanpst files and i cant setup my email
in outlook w/o that file or open the email already setup. I have no data
files and it wont let me add them. I have the file: C:\program
files\commonfiles\system\msmapi\1033\scanpst.exe listed in The Repair Tool
box but it won't start, it says-it's in use by another app. Close outlook and
all oter mail-enabled appl and try again. I have nothing elase open so I am
confused. If I can't get this right then I cant setup my new offc 2007. I've
never had this happen??

Roady said:
In the case of using the MSN Connector this is easier to solve since all
data is being kept online. You can remove your MSN account through Control
Panel-> Mail, close the Mail applet, and then add your account again. Note
that for the MSN Connector you need to choose Other when being asked what
kind of mail account you want to add.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003


-----

Lexie said:
What mail account type are you using?: I am using HTTP/MSN

Are you using pst-files? Yes, personal Files

Are they stored locally on your computer? YES, C/drive

Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail?
YES
they are.

THis is only happening on my laptop, same email on my main puter is just
fine. It's puzzeling. I tried opening the data mngmt files and it says:
The set of folders could not be opened. An unexpected eror has occured.
MAPI
was unable to load the info svc msncon.dll. Be sure the svc is correctly
installed and configured. (i just reloaded Outlook-but I get same msg)?

I am confused?



Roady said:
Outlook doesn't care about a wireless or wired connection so that change
has
no effect whatsoever on Outlook.

What mail account type are you using?
Are you using pst-files?
Are they stored locally on your computer?
Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail?
What is the size of the pst-files?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
http://www.howto-outlook.com/
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more

-----

I've had 2003 for a couple of yrs and have setup a wireless network
recently
and now when i pull up outlook, I cannot get into my email folders..it
tells
me:

This error usually appears if the OST or PST file you are using is:

Unavailable

Protected with file permissions

On a share on a server and the network is down

Corrupt

To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local
computer.

You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools to
verify
file integrity.

**It's as if the files locked down or something, but I never locked the
files down..

Has this happened to anyone else??/
 
G

Guest

Hello, I've still not been able to solve this issue. When trying to log on to
outlook it says: UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT EMAIL FLDR. OUTLOOK COULD NOT START
BECAUSE A DATA FILE TO SEND & RECV MAIL COULD NOT BE FOUND. tO ADD A DATA
FILE SUCH AS A PERSONAL FLDR DBL CLK THE MAIL ICON IN WNDOWS CTRL PANAL.
(I've done this so many times and it doesnt allow me to add the data file
into that section. It used to be there??

Lexie said:
thanks Roady for the link-once I get outlook going again that w/b useful. I
have a MSN acct, not sure the connector will help although I did download it.
BUT, my syst is saying it doesnt have scanpst files and i cant setup my email
in outlook w/o that file or open the email already setup. I have no data
files and it wont let me add them. I have the file: C:\program
files\commonfiles\system\msmapi\1033\scanpst.exe listed in The Repair Tool
box but it won't start, it says-it's in use by another app. Close outlook and
all oter mail-enabled appl and try again. I have nothing elase open so I am
confused. If I can't get this right then I cant setup my new offc 2007. I've
never had this happen??

Roady said:
In the case of using the MSN Connector this is easier to solve since all
data is being kept online. You can remove your MSN account through Control
Panel-> Mail, close the Mail applet, and then add your account again. Note
that for the MSN Connector you need to choose Other when being asked what
kind of mail account you want to add.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
http://www.howto-outlook.com/
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more

-----

Lexie said:
What mail account type are you using?: I am using HTTP/MSN

Are you using pst-files? Yes, personal Files

Are they stored locally on your computer? YES, C/drive

Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail?
YES
they are.

THis is only happening on my laptop, same email on my main puter is just
fine. It's puzzeling. I tried opening the data mngmt files and it says:
The set of folders could not be opened. An unexpected eror has occured.
MAPI
was unable to load the info svc msncon.dll. Be sure the svc is correctly
installed and configured. (i just reloaded Outlook-but I get same msg)?

I am confused?



:

Outlook doesn't care about a wireless or wired connection so that change
has
no effect whatsoever on Outlook.

What mail account type are you using?
Are you using pst-files?
Are they stored locally on your computer?
Are they still in the place you have configured in Control Panel-> Mail?
What is the size of the pst-files?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
http://www.howto-outlook.com/
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more

-----

I've had 2003 for a couple of yrs and have setup a wireless network
recently
and now when i pull up outlook, I cannot get into my email folders..it
tells
me:

This error usually appears if the OST or PST file you are using is:

Unavailable

Protected with file permissions

On a share on a server and the network is down

Corrupt

To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local
computer.

You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools to
verify
file integrity.

**It's as if the files locked down or something, but I never locked the
files down..

Has this happened to anyone else??/
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Brian Tillman

Lexie said:
Hello, I've still not been able to solve this issue. When trying to
log on to outlook it says: UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT EMAIL FLDR. OUTLOOK
COULD NOT START BECAUSE A DATA FILE TO SEND & RECV MAIL COULD NOT BE
FOUND. tO ADD A DATA FILE SUCH AS A PERSONAL FLDR DBL CLK THE MAIL
ICON IN WNDOWS CTRL PANAL. (I've done this so many times and it
doesnt allow me to add the data file into that section. It used to be
there??

Use the Mail applet in Control Panel to configure your mail profile. If you
have an existing PST, open it in the mail profile. See if this helps:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
 
G

Guest

Thanks Brian but, Unfortunately that is the problem - even when I try
recreating a email acct, once it gets to the box where "Selecting the default
delivery location of new e-mails in Outlook is", the data files box is empty
and doesnt allow me to add my pst files., it doesnt give me a choice. It's
strange that one day i clicked on Outlook and it said i can't open it..Is
there someplace to go where folks can work on this problem? My heading is
called scanpst because when I went to the pst folder, it said I needed that
file - BUT it wont let me download it per my very first email string.
 
B

Brian Tillman

Lexie said:
Thanks Brian but, Unfortunately that is the problem - even when I try
recreating a email acct, once it gets to the box where "Selecting the
default delivery location of new e-mails in Outlook is", the data
files box is empty and doesnt allow me to add my pst files., it
doesnt give me a choice. It's strange that one day i clicked on
Outlook and it said i can't open it..Is there someplace to go where
folks can work on this problem? My heading is called scanpst because
when I went to the pst folder, it said I needed that file - BUT it
wont let me download it per my very first email string.

Have you tried Help>Detect and Repair or, if Outlook won't start at all, a
repair install from Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs?
 
G

Guest

I just did. What do you think could have happened to make the files just
disappear like that. I have 2 puters connected to a network, my desktop works
fine-but the laptops outlook ability just stopped. Are there MSN pro's to
take the puter to vs this try it yourself technique? THe problem solver
response on all issues such as this are the same in the strings, BUT I just
am not able to access Outlook nor does the MAIL file produce any files for me
to change, create or otherwise??
 
B

Brian Tillman

Lexie said:
I just did.

Did it work?
What do you think could have happened to make the files
just disappear like that.

Files don't "just disappear". There are any number of things you might have
done to delete them. There's no way to guess.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

I setup a wireless network-next day I wasnt able to open my outlook. (The
reload didnt work). The data files are on my puter on the 'c' drive, I just
cant get them to the outlook folder. Any suggestions on who does this type
work physically. Otherwise, I guess it's safe to say I shouldnt download my
office 07 (for which I need outlook for my business). Is it correct to state
that since in the reload it didnt work, it wouldnt work even with 07?
 
B

Brian Tillman

Lexie said:
I setup a wireless network-next day I wasnt able to open my outlook.
(The reload didnt work). The data files are on my puter on the 'c'
drive, I just cant get them to the outlook folder.

Which files? Setting up a network shouldn't affect anything about Outlook.
Outlook doesn't care how you connect to the Internet.
Any suggestions on who does this type work physically. Otherwise, I guess
it's safe to
say I shouldnt download my office 07 (for which I need outlook for my
business). Is it correct to state that since in the reload it didnt
work, it wouldnt work even with 07?

Did you try creating a new mail profile?
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
 
G

Guest

YES I did try to create a new profile, several times and it all goes well, it
just doesnt pull the data file into the mail setup box. It allows me to click
on the 'add' data file but doesnt allow me to browse for it at all, i even
tried just going to my local file folder and clicking copy then pasting it in
that setup box, but it wont let me. I know if someone more experienced looked
at it it would probably be easy-this is the 1st time I havent been able to
fix something on my puter. I am baffled. I honestly didnt do anything out of
the ordinary that I know of the last time I used outlook on my laptop. You
thinkI could have locked the files somehow when setting up the network? I
just dont know. Like I said,at one point it said I needed to download
scanpst-even that process get to a point, then stops w/pretty much the same
response. Again: are their folks out here that I could take the laptop to. I
need the outlook for my business. Thanks
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top