Scanning problems

I didn't know where else to post this, so my apologies if this is considered
off-topic.
I'm using XP SP 2 with all current updates, and the most current version of
Windows Anti-Spyware, with the most recent spyware definitions (16 November
2005). I've noticed in past that even though my system has more than 300,000
files on it, Anti-Spyware would search only about 120,000 of those for
infection. Starting a little more than a month ago, the number of files
Anti-Spyware would search decreased to around 49,000 per scan. So now, every
time I use Anti-Spyware to scan my system, it only scans about 49,000 files
for infection. About two weeks ago I tried uninstalling and reinstalling
Anti-Spyware, but the new install still scans only about 49,000 files. As
far as I can tell, all signature updates have been downloaded and installed,
so it's not a matter of having old spyware signatures.
Is there something wrong with my system, or my install of Anti-Spyware, that
causes it to scan only 49,000 files? If there is something wrong, does
anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Thank you for your help.

A.

Dave M

Hi Aranxta;
As good a place as any... Nobody pays much attention to these Group
categories, sadly... but see this topic in the General forum:

From: MikeE
Subject: Manual vs Scheduled scan differences
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:05:04 -0800

MSAS uses some "smart" technology to limit the files/locations it scans even
when running a full deep scan, however the aging Beta1 code does cause one to
question it's "intelligence" at times. ;)