Saving Images

When I try and save any picture it tries to save as untitled.bmp instead of a
jpeg. How do I get to save jpeg?

Any help would be good.

Thanks

Phil

Jan Il

Hi Phil :)

Try the following and see if it helps:

First.. IE-Tools-Internet Options-Delete Files (in the TIF section)
Clear recycle bin to finish getting rid of the files.

also...

Start > Run > type Regedit in the window
First, back up your Registry
Then navigate to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\ContentType\Image\jpeg
In the right pane you will see the 'Extension' value is likely to be
<whatever the incorrect extension is>. If the extension listed is not the
incorrect extension then this isn't the solution. If it is the same
incorrect extension, double click on the word 'Extension' and change it to
the correct file format (i.e., .jpg, bmp, gif, etc.)
Save, close the Registry Editor and check to see if this has resolved the
problem.

Another possibility is that you have checked Do not save encrypted pages to
disk on the Advanced tab of Tools | Options, and the picture is on a page
reached by a secure https:// connection.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows IE/OE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Gordon

Phil,

This usually means your cache is full. Delete all Temporary files (Tools ->
Internet Options -> Delete Files) then try again.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi JanIl

I had a look around the support gorups and was diverted to a windowsxp MVP
site which said to type Regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll in the ruun box. Now Internet
explorer does nothing except show a white screen, nothing loads, outlook
express does not work. and other problems. Any ideas what has happened now?

Phil

Jan Il said:
[...]

.

Jan Il

Hi Phil :)

Try doing a System Restore to a date and time prior to what you just did to
cause the new problem. I am not sure what may have caused the problem with
the other suggestion, but, this would perhaps at the least get you back to
square one, and we can work from there, and, it may also resolve the
original problem.

If that is not possible, then I suggest that you do a repair of your OS.
This is a repair, not a reinstall from scratch, so you should not lose your
settings or data. However, it is good to make sure to back up your system
first.
How to do a repair installation of XP - by Doug Knox
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Here are two free programs that will backup your OE and IE settings,
passwords and other files:

Outlook Express Backup programs
www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/)

BackRex - Internet Explorer Backup - Free Download
http://www.backsettings.com/internet-explorer-backup.html
Backsup all IE files, including Cookies and Favorites
I use this program and like it very much.

Jan Il said:
[...]

This is FALSE. I've never seen anything come out of this "voodoo" fix. How
it was explained to me by a VERY HIGH LEVEL Server Admin was this:

It is simply a matter that IE cannot make a direct connection to the
attributes of the file you are trying to save, but it knows it is an image.
Therefore it saves it in it's own native-compliant format, which would be as
a Windows Bitmap. It is also sometimes a direct result of some security
measures put into place at the server level, that disallows said connection
to certain file attributes making the browser unable to see the true file,
but rather what the browser sees is a sort of "compiled image" - the
interpreted display.

This behavior does not imply that there is anything wrong with your system.

Bitmaps, although they can be large, are generally safe (in some cases safer
than jpg's). If you have an image software comparable to Photoshop or
Fireworks, you can simply convert the file after saving it and then delete
the BMP version. But, I'm sure it's not about that, it's about the
convenience...

-Dusty
(e-mail address removed)

Don Varnau

Hi,
Note: Original thread (Mar 23, 2006) at http://snipurl.com/r54u

Actually, clearing out the Temporary Internet Files is nearly always the fix
for this JPG><BMP problem. But, it's true that the cache isn't necessarily
"full" in terms of bits, bytes or megabytes, but that the indexing system
has broken down.
There's an excellent explanation at
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2003/12/08/53607.aspx
and more at
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2004/10/29/249742.aspx

Regards,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

dirtycar74 said:
[...]

dirtycar74[at]hotmail.com

Speaking in software engineering terms, my friend was - not the apparent cure
for the current mandelbug that it is. The best way to work around this for
persons of any technical savvy is to simply save the *.bmp and convert it to
the filetype of choice, or to screen capture it using software such as
TechSmith's "SnagIt" (http://www.snagit.com/) to save the image in whatever
format you so desire. I don't doubt that in SOME instances, that clearing
the cache will resolve it, as it invariably does for some, because it is
seemingly a different reason for each case, hence the term "mandelbug". The
BEST way I have found to avoid this is to not cache anything and simply setup
IE to empty caches and not cache thumbnmails either. I also set it to empty
after closing each session, in those cases when I can't get it to work
without using some form of cache. I have only had this problem once, and I
have, like stated above, several ways to workaround it when it does rear it's
head. The key here is that you always have many options. This is not an
case of "Your Browser will self-destruct if you don't do <this>," but rather,
a case telling us that we need to point at the OS programmers and ask why
they are too lazy (or seemingly so) to address this "mandelbug" like they do
so many other minor "security-related" bugs that fewer than 5% of users have
actual issues with. Especially since this specific "bug" has been around
since at least IE 5.01...

But this is just my $0.02~!

-Dusty
(e-mail address removed)

"Phil" <Phil[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
When I try and save any picture it tries to save as untitled.bmp instead
of a
jpeg. How do I get to save jpeg?

Any help would be good.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

It is not false, but here are a couple other things to try:

If that doesn't fix it, go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced and scroll
down to the Security section. Uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to
disk".

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix the 'Content Type' settings:

regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
(and/or)
regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll (for WinXP)

A workaround is to click E-mail Picture..., Cancel and then Save Picture
As.... The picture is then saved in its original format.

Seeing that the solution is as simple as this, MS really should fix this
ongoing curse in IE6. Does anyone know if it's been fixed in IE7?

Perhaps someone will write a short program to click the three buttons in
succession when one clicks Save Picture As...?

Ken