Save as problem for Excel 97/2000 (with VBA-protection in excel 20

Cheetahke

Hi all
When I've protected VBA with a password, and I want to save my workbook as
an Excel 97/2000 workbook, I get an error message that's saying that I must
"unprotect" the VBA-code before saving the workbook. I've written the code
with excel 2003.
How can I save as an excel 97/2000 workbook without unprotecting the
VBA-code? I need to do this for working with it in Excel 2000.

Jim Cone

Just save it as a regular workbook.
If you have code that doesn't work in XL 2000, then saving it
as an earlier version will not fix the code. It will still not work.

You will still be able to unprotect and work on the code in XL2000,
but not in XL97 versions.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Cheetahke"
wrote in message
Hi all
When I've protected VBA with a password, and I want to save my workbook as
an Excel 97/2000 workbook, I get an error message that's saying that I must
"unprotect" the VBA-code before saving the workbook. I've written the code
with excel 2003.
How can I save as an excel 97/2000 workbook without unprotecting the
VBA-code? I need to do this for working with it in Excel 2000.

Cheetahke

Hi Jim,

It's not the code that doesn't work. The code works fine, even when it's
saved as an Excel 97/2000 workbook (without protection of the vba-project).
But when I protect the vba-project, and I try to save as an excel 97/2000
workbook, I get the message that I must remove the protection before saving.
And that's the problem. I want to be able to save the workbook as an excel
97/2000 workbook, with the the vba-project protected.

Jim Cone

My Excel 2003 program does not have an Excel97/2000 workbook save option.
It provides an Excel97-Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 Workbook option.
(that I believe actually saves two separate versions)

Why do you want to save an 97/2000 version? (if it exists)

If you protect a workbook in the VBE, in any version from 2000 to 2003 it can be
unprotected in any one of those versions. Excel 97 cannot unprotect a project
in the VBE that was protected in a later version. The later versions, however,
can open a protected XL97 project.

Again, I believe you just need to save it as a regular .xls workbook.