Trouble Installing Excel VBA Code Cleaner into Office 365

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been working through Professional Excel Development and enjoying what I have learned. I use the Excel Utilities on a regular basis and have just started using Code Documentor. I’d like to experiment with VBA Code Cleaner too. However, I have been having a lot of trouble installing it.

I'm on a home machine (W7, 64-bit) and my account is an Administrator, I'm running Office 365 in the 32-bit version. I ran the install as an Administrator and I also ran Excel as an Administrator. I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times without it showing up in the dialog produced by "COM Addins" on the Excel Ribbon.

On this forum I found a thread that suggested using PowerShell IDE to execute the following:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

New-Item -Path 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\VBACodeCleaner..CodeCleanerConnect' -Force

New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\VBACodeCleaner.CodeCleanerConnect' -Name Description -PropertyType String -Value 'VBA Code Cleaner 5.0'

New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\VBACodeCleaner.CodeCleanerConnect' -Name FriendlyName -PropertyType String -Value'VBA Code Cleaner 5.0'

New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\VBACodeCleaner.CodeCleanerConnect' -Name LoadBehavior -PropertyType DWord -Value 3​

That went well and VBA Code Cleaner 5.0 started showing up on the list of Add-ins available. However, the Load Behavior is "Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in.". The registry shows LoadBehavior = 2. I've changed that to 3 and tried again; but, it still comes up as "Not loaded." and the LoadBehavior reverts to 2.

I have also tried restarting the computer at various stages in every permutation I can think of. After investing a day on this, I'd appreciate some help so that I can this one thing accomplished.

By the way, I have both versions of the book and a Kindle version. It is my "Go To" source as I learn VBA. I was sorry to hear that there is not going to be a third edition.

Ask a Question