SATA RAID5 disk replacement: same type of disk?

Richard NL

Hello all,
I have a SATA RAID 5 drive arrangement and am looking for a spare disk.

Does the spare disk need to be exactly the same type or can I get away with
something "close"?

This is a Dell Poweredge 1800 server, CERC SATA1.5 RAID controller
RAID5 of 3x Maxtor 6Y160M0 disks.

I can locally get the Maxtor 6L160M0 disks, but not sure if those will work
reliably with the existing ones.

Anyone have a clue? Or a link?

Is there a FAQ for this group BTW?

TIA,
Ries.

Peter

Richard NL said:
Hello all,
I have a SATA RAID 5 drive arrangement and am looking for a spare disk.

Does the spare disk need to be exactly the same type or can I get away with
something "close"?

This is a Dell Poweredge 1800 server, CERC SATA1.5 RAID controller
RAID5 of 3x Maxtor 6Y160M0 disks.

I can locally get the Maxtor 6L160M0 disks, but not sure if those will work
reliably with the existing ones.

Anyone have a clue? Or a link?

Is there a FAQ for this group BTW?

Do you have a support contract with Dell?

Richard NL

Hi Peter,
yes we do.
Dell wants us to buy their drives (6Y160M0) which are about 3-4 times the
price of the ones we can get locally.
Since we want 3 or 4 drives, that becomes a significant amount.
We could replace the entire diskset for the price of a replacement disk..

Ries.