Internal hard drive in SATA to USB enclosure/caddy

Reaction score
Im using a dell system with XP home. I want to store a large quantity of photos so would like to use another hard drive as oppossed to dozens of discs.
I have a spare 80GB SATA Maxtor (diamond max plus 9) internal hard drive so purchased a Pluscom SATA to USB enclosure to house it. The enclosure did not come supplied with the cable required to connect the two together and my emails to the seller are not being answered. Can anyone tell me what the cable/connector type might be?
The connection sockets have 22 pins (15 & 7) in a single row. (I'm guessing that this is a fairly common type)
I can't find anything online without knowing a type/name etc.
Also, I would like to clear my PC hard drive of all photos so is this external drive a good reliable method to use as my main photo store? Is heat likely to be an issue?

Thanks for reading

Andy

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can't picture the setup either.

Need to know what type of connector for:

The 80Gb Maxtor HDD
The Pluscom SATA to USB device where it connects to HDD
The Pluscom SATA to USB device where it connects to PC

Having valuble data stored on just one hard disk is a disaster waiting to happen.

Hard disks are mechanical and everything mechanical will break down eventually.

So either store the data (photos) on another external hard disk as well or back them all up to DVD-R's as well. As if you don't you're in serious danger of losing all your pictures.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
EvanDavis said:
Erm send it back if half the bits are missing..

OP's already said sellers not responding, so sending it back may not be much of an option....

First thoughts are its an IDE cable maybe? But The OP mentions SATA so am guessing not....

Need pics. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
V_R said:
OP's already said sellers not responding, so sending it back may not be much of an option....
What's sellers name so we can make his name mud or at least find out more info for this person ?

Reaction score
Thanks for your replys and the links.
I have been through the sellers 'list of contents'. The correct No of parts have arrived so in theory it's not 'missing'. Just not included although that seems odd to me. I had one a few years ago and that arrived ready to go which is how I assumed this would be. For someone who really is lost in IT that is vital. It was bought through Ebay so am taking it up through the proper channels before naming them here.
I'm hoping a pic will be posted with this now, fingers crossed.

Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• tn_P1010027.JPG
    tn_P1010027.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,516

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah, that is just a standard Sata hard drive that goes in the caddy that is also just the normal connections.. :)

You will need one of these guys to connect it to the PC
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130548

One end in the PC the other in the bcak of the caddy in the connector on the left.

Did you get a power adaptor with the caddy?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If your still unsure i can post pics of my caddy that has the same connections as a guide if needs be. :)

(but not til tonight when i get home)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah you mean to connect the HDD to the caddy....

WTF, that wasn't included? What a load of crap. I'd send it back and tell the seller to stick it up his.......

Thats just ridiculous....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't suppose you put the hard disk into the caddy first, then slide the pcb into place so the connector mounted on the pcb slides home onto the hard disk connector?

Doubtful, as the pic shows the pins on the wrong side to achieve that but if there are pins on the other side of the pcb-mounted connector that may be the way it's supposed to work.

Just a thought.

If it does need a short lead then the supplier is bang out of order for not supplying one, it should be a part of the package. I'm not even sure where you could obtain such a link lead.

attachment.php

Reaction score
Floppy, brilliant!

I never even considered that the connector could be double sided! Never seen or heard of anything like that before.
Now I feeling pretty dam silly.

Just going to give it a shot.

Thanks for ALL the input guys. Have taken note of you thoughts on storage too Floppy.

Thanks all
andy

Ask a Question