Sandisk Cruzer Micro problem

Reaction score
I have a Dell 810d Laptop.
I have bought a pair of Cruzer micro usb flash drives
One is a 1 gb the other is a 4gb
The 1 gb works a treat Using u3 etc, all good.
The 4gb just makes the whole laptop lock up. It recoveres as soon as I remove the flash drive.
Any suggestions as to what the conflict may be. My cd burner is a sonic record now plus. Are there any known issues? Please help.

Reaction score
Re:computer Locks Up

Lock Ups Are Usually Driver Problems.this Can Also Happen From

The Computer Not Being Able To Read From A Drive.check With

The Manufacturer For Incompatability Problems.

Reaction score
I have asked sandisk but I may as well have asked the wall ! They told me that perhaps the power from my laptop usb wasn't enough so I did as they said and used my powered usb hub. Then they said that it was for use with a pc. I said a laptop is a pc. They said it wasnt and that these sticks were not intended for laptops.
Would you believe that. I said if that was the case they should advertise the fact. It works fine on another laptop therefore it must be a problem with my machine.
Like I said, the 1 gb unit works a treat.

Reaction score
Is it possible that you left the 4gb in your laptop during reboot?

If so then there is a chance that your laptop performed a chkdsk on it and if that is the case then your Laptop will have rendered your Flash drive useless because when a PC does a chkdsk on a flash drive it is looking for common hard drive files and what not so when it doesn't recognize the flash drive drivers and files it deletes them thinking that they are possibly malicious or unidentifiable files. In other words your PC Re-Formats the drive with out the format part.

When this happens there is nothing you can do (as far as I know) check with the manufacturer to see if the warranty covers it. Thats the best solution I can think of. Also any files that may have been on the drive (assuming it was once working) are gone for good so there is no use in trying to get them back.

I would also look into the possiblity the U3 Operating System being installed onto the drive incorrectly. See if they offer a reformat program and give that a try.
I hope this helps in your troubleshooting process if nothing else you can at least say its not the problem.

Regards, SL33P3R

Last edited:

Ask a Question