"safeboot" automatically ticked for "normal mode"

G

Hi,
My problem is that in msconfig the only way i can start outside of safemode is in "selective start up" When I select normal start up, Safeboot is automatically selected under the boot.ini tab. The original boot.ini is a safe boot. Is there a way to fix this so that my computer begins in normal mode? Is it possible for this to be a registry problem?

Some further info...
I have had some difficulties with the "about:blank" hijack and trying to fix it, I followed the advice of a friend who recommended turning off System Restore. I have since turned it on, but I don't know if it is a viable solution to my problem since my normal mode/safe mode problem has been happening for some time.

G

Hi,

If your browser is hijacked then use Spybot or Ad-aware to remove this pests.
Keep your antivirus scanners upto date, your windows upto date.

and never turn off system restore. you will need it in emergency.

G

Thanks M.

But I am still unable to start my computer in anything but Selective mode or Safe Mode. Is there anyway to stop the "safeboot.ini" from being ticked when I select normal startup? Do I have to reinstall XP??

I have installed and run Spy Bot and Ad Aware, but I can't get rid of the highjack, somehow it keeps returning the fixed and deleted items to my registry.

Trust me, I now know how stupid it was to turn off my system restore. What an idiot I was!

Regards, V

Ask a Question