Safe to delete XML files created during backup?

Reaction score
I had someone ask for for assistance with their LaCie External Hard Drive...They have thousands of pictures in multiple folders...In a particular folder, there are about 2000 pictures, but 10, 1000+ items...there are many XML files (the remainder of files) that are taking up space and I'm not even sure what...I try opening one and Internet Explorer opens up and it looks as though something will open up but nothing happens. The XML files were created 4 years after the pictures were backed up to the hard Drive. There is an XML file with the same name of each of the pictures...but after that there are even more XML files after that....ex. 636 (JPG) 636(XML), 637 (XML.) The file extensions are separated...XML files first, then JPG's.
As this isn't my computer I am not sure of the specifications...I do know that it is a Windows laptop, and I believe that the Genie Backup Assistant was used to backup these files (there is currently problems backing up to the hard drive at the moment.)
Any help as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
What happens when you try to open the JPG files? Do they open properly? If the JPG opens correctly, what happens if you remove the related XML file? Don't delete it, just try to move it off of the drive or something similar. Does the JPG act the same when trying to open it?

Has the drive been scanned for a virus?

Ask a Question