safe mode for XP

JB

How do you get into SAFE MODE with XP? I've tried the
usual pressing the F8 key but the screen I get doesn't say
anything about SAFE MODE, can anyone let me know?

Zagan

Try again!

I find that just after the machine turns on / cycles
power / reboots, and the initial BIOS display has ended i
start hitting F8, this I do until the Advanced boot
options menu comes up. if you don't get it the first
time, no stress try again, it will come up!

Carrie Garth

| "JB" <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx >
| wrote in message | How do you get into SAFE MODE with XP? I've tried the
| usual pressing the F8 key but the screen I get doesn't say
| anything about SAFE MODE, can anyone let me know?

You can use the System Configuration Utility (msconfig) to
configure your computer to boot into Safe Mode. To do that click
Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK:

msconfig

Then select the tab titled Boot.ini. Click to select /SAFEBOOT
Then click Apply. When the System Configuration dialog box
appears click the Restart button.

For more information about Safe Mode see following Microsoft
Knowledge Base article:

KB315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;315222

For more information about msconfig see the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base article:

KB310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig
Utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;310560